Calibration for AOC 24G2 always ends up with red tint

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration for AOC 24G2 always ends up with red tint

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by MW.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Zz Eric
    Participant

Hi, I’m a noob when it comes to color calibration.

I’ve been trying to calibrate my new AOC 24G2 to D65, White level 120, Gamma 2.2 but the calibration always ends up with a red tint.

I’ve tried the X-rite software for the ColorMunki and DisplayCal but I get the same red tint for both.

Also tried different corrections other than LCD White LED family (AC, LG, Samsung) to no avail.

My other monitor the LG 24MP68VQ-P was calibrated using the same settings and turned out fine.

What could be causing this?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

use the correction “Spectral: LCD PFS Phosphor WLED family”

Zz Eric
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll try it again with that correction. While I’m at it can I also ask if I used the right correction for the LG 24MP68VQ-P? In case I messed that one up as well.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

See displayspecifications.com, when in doubt, white LED.

beepilyboopilydoopy
    Participant

I have the AOC 24G2U monitor, which displayspecifications says is IGZO IPS, white LED.  I’m calibrating with Spyder5 W-LED mode and get a red tint.

Would the Spectral: LCD PFS Phosphor WLED family correction work with the Spyder5?

I see 1 spectral correction available from the online database for this monitor, but it says i1Pro. Would this be useful with the Spyder5?

For my other monitor, Dell u2515H, which is AH-IPS, the Spyder5 in W-LED mode is very close, just a little bit of a greenish tint. I see some spectral corrections on the online database. What’s the difference between the ones that say i1pro and i1Dpro?

The Laptop LCD (a site says a-Si TFT) IPS with Spyder5 in W-LED mode is perfect.

The 24G2U was connected to an HDMI port on a USB-C hub adapter, and the U2515H to an HDMI port on the laptop. However, in the displayCAL profile loader, when I switched the HDMI cables, the profiles for the 24G2U and U2515H disappeared and got copied to the selection list for the Laptop LCD. The 24G2U profile got loaded as default to the Laptop LCD. When I switched back the HDMI cables, the profiles for the 2 external monitors returned, but the Laptop LCD was still using the 24G2U profile. I had to manually remove the wrong profiles.

Do I need to create a new separate profile for the same monitor when it’s connected to either of the HDMI port directly on the laptop, or through the USB-C hub adapter?

Vincent
    Participant

a) Spyders are not accurate, so even using spectral correction it is expected to have visually noticiable errors. Plan to upgrade to i1d3 family.

b) 24G2U looks like a P3 gamer display so it cannot be “wled” (just “wled” = blue led + yellow phoshor). Most newer models with P3 gamut use some WLED PFS phosphor variant able to give near P3 coverage so if you have no direct confirmation use that. If you only want to use Spyder bundled corrections try RGB LED which should be closer although innacurate (but Spyder HW itself is far more innacurate so…)

c) Even with lab grade equipment you may get a numeric match but no visual match and it may happen just for you: metameric observer failure, your visual system is not like std obs. Use Visual wihtepoint editor in the displays that looks off, choosing subjectively one display as reference. For displays matched visually remember to use relative whitepoint intent when making LUT3D (if you need them).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

MW
    Participant

Bumping in case someone else is looking for a solution.

Make sure the OSD crosshair is disabled of you will get false readings.

Panasonic PFS correction and user CCSS corrections both give the same white point which looks correct to me. If you are looking for an inexpensive consumer display to adapt for editing it’s not a bad choice right now. 92% P3 coverage and no visible deficiencies of sRGB. Current stock uses a 1500:1 IPS panel. The main thing you lose compared to a pro grade display is uniformity correction.

Attachments:

MW
    Participant

My uniformity is in the ballpark of reviewed examples, or a tiny bit worse.
    AOC 24G2U and 27G2U review: 144Hz IPS price bangers – Uniformity – Hardware Info
    AOC 24G2U (24G2) Review | PC Monitors

I don’t know if returning for another 24G2 is likely to have much better uniformity.

Attachments:

MW
    Participant

I now have three 24G2’s in total in my room, two of these are going back to the store based on uniformity checks. Decide for yourself if it’s worth the time taking advantage of generous return policies, I’m glad I’ll end up with a max 100% deviation of  ~-15% vs. ~-25%.

Attachments:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS