calibration difference between ICC profiling and 3D LUT application

Home Forums Help and Support calibration difference between ICC profiling and 3D LUT application

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

mathieu
    Participant

Hello everybody,

With the same caracterisation, I created an ICC profil and a 3D L.U.T. for Resolve.

I obtain a very different result in the blacks with the two methods : the black are less black, softer, I can more details with 3D L.U.T.

I don’t understand why the result is also different. I think there is one that is incorrect, do you agree?

Thank you!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If you want to have the same result between a 3D LUT and ICC color management capable applications, then you have to create a synthetic profile with the same color space and tone curve parameters as for the 3D LUT, and assign it to your image material. The synthetic profile also needs to have the same black and white level as the destination (display) profile.

mathieu
    Participant

Hi Florian and thank you,

If I create a calibration for DCI P3 color space (gamma 2,6), is it something to do with the ICC management applied by DiplayCal ? I have the same parameters for the ICC profile and the 3D LUT, so it is perhaps a problem with the use of the ICC profile?

Regards

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I create a calibration for DCI P3 color space (gamma 2,6), is it something to do with the ICC management applied by DiplayCal ?

Not sure what you mean – there is no “ICC management applied by DiplayCal”, that’s the job of the respective application (e.g. image viewer or editor).

I have the same parameters for the ICC profile and the 3D LUT, so it is perhaps a problem with the use of the ICC profile?

So you have created a synthetic profile with DCI P3 color space and gamma 2.6 and assigned it to your image material in your imaging application?

mathieu
    Participant

I can see the profile applied at the end of the calibration process and the DisplayCal application offers to apply it to the system, I can see the effect with the profile loader

I would like to apply the ICC profile for the Resolve GUI and the 3D LUT for Resolve HDMI/SDI output, but the result isn’t the same, even if all are DCI P3 screens.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I can see the profile applied at the end of the calibration process and the DisplayCal application offers to apply it to the system, I can see the effect with the profile loader

What you see applied is the 1D calibration (adjustment) via the graphics card videoLUT.

I would like to apply the ICC profile for the Resolve GUI

Not possible with Resolve – its ICC profile support is very lacking and for that reason I would strongly recommend against relying on it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Florian Höch.

mathieu
    Participant

Thank you Florian, but this 1D calibration applied is it different from the ICC profile?

The 1D calibration is what is applied by DisplayCal immediately after the calibration process? There is no color correction, just gamma correction even if a characterization has been made by DisplayCal?

All the best

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thank you Florian, but this 1D calibration applied is it different from the ICC profile?

Yes, they are different. The calibration adjusts whitepoint and grayscale, and needs to be active for the profile to be valid.

The 1D calibration is what is applied by DisplayCal immediately after the calibration process? There is no color correction, just gamma correction even if a characterization has been made by DisplayCal?

About correct, see above.

mathieu
    Participant

Yes, they are different. The calibration adjusts whitepoint and grayscale, and needs to be active for the profile to be valid.

About correct, see above.

So between the calibration applied by DisplayCal and the 3D LUT created there is no gamma difference, it is only the color correction that is different if I have the same parameters?

have a good day!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So between the calibration applied by DisplayCal and the 3D LUT created there is no gamma difference, it is only the color correction that is different if I have the same parameters?

Correct.

mathieu
    Participant

So between the calibration applied by DisplayCal and the 3D LUT created there is no gamma difference, it is only the color correction that is different if I have the same parameters?

Correct.

It is on this subject that I have a problem : the gamma or the contrast or the blacks are differents with the calibration applied by DisplayCal and with the 3D LUT applied in the Resolve GUI

An idea?

Thank you

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It is on this subject that I have a problem : the gamma or the contrast or the blacks are differents with the calibration applied by DisplayCal and with the 3D LUT applied in the Resolve GUI

They should not be active at the same time – if the global 1D calibration is active, then the 3D LUT should not contain the calibration as well and vice versa. See the guide in the wiki.

mathieu
    Participant

It is on this subject that I have a problem : the gamma or the contrast or the blacks are differents with the calibration applied by DisplayCal and with the 3D LUT applied in the Resolve GUI

They should not be active at the same time – if the global 1D calibration is active, then the 3D LUT should not contain the calibration as well and vice versa. See the guide in the wiki.

I apply either just the 3D L.U.T. or just the 1D calibration

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I apply either just the 3D L.U.T. or just the 1D calibration

Correct. If there’s still differences (on b&w material), then you have to check your settings.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS