Calibration device without PC

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration device without PC

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ege Sagtekin
    Participant

After calibrating a monitor with a calibration device using displaycal will the settings apply after I disconnect the monitor from pc? I’d like to use it with a PS5. What would you recomment I do?

Vincent
    Participant

Whitepoint fixed on RGB gain controls yes, if you use the same OSD preset in PS5.
    All grey calibration in ICC VGCT table will be lost. Also all color managed transformations that you use under the hood in Photoshop or Premiere based on ICC will be lost too.

If you want to keep all calibration applied:
    Buy a monitor with HW calibration (reliable, you’ll be limited to vendor software, not displaycal)
    Buy a TV with HW calibration (reliable, you’ll be limited to vendor software, not displaycal) or with a CMS that allows you CMYRGB saturation controls and several points in greyscale (Use HCFR software)
    Buy an external LUTbox and load a LUT3D calculated with DisplayCAL but most of affordable ones may be limited to HDMI 1.4

Ege Sagtekin
    Participant

Thank You.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Hm, buy island in ocean too. DisplayCAL Profile Loader has “Automatically fix profile associations” in “Profile associations…” dialogue. When on, it determines screen model ID and uses its default profile from Windows Color Management setings. The last one handles it after it is pluged off. No problem.

But you should understand that external display profile is not suitable for notebook display, by example. And that Ps starts at internal display and gets its profile, not one of external display. Solution is: a) close notebook cover, start Ps at the sole external display, than open notebook cover; b) change notebook screen profile to that one of external display (use “Profile associations…” in Profile Loader drop down menu in tray icons or Monitor profile dialogue at Mac), start Ps, move it to external display, than restore notebook screen profile.

Vincent
    Participant

He wants to plug it to a PS5 video console (Playstation5), hence no profile ICC data is available. Only tweaks he made on OSD (or HW calibration if available)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Oh, I’m sorry. Right, but the key question is: what displays&ICCs were used to make PS5 image/video content? Some note: Adobe Premiere is a silly editor in CMS terms. Its manual recommends to use Rec.709 only as a working color space, if you pass your work to professionals then. But, if you make consumer video, it recommends do not use color management. And this seems to be right: neither popular video players (in Windows at least), nor YouTube window in browser are color managed. But to make consumer video with right colors, your display should be close to consumer displays. Best recommendation here is: sRGB/Rec.709 gamut limitation and gamma curve = 2.2. It is not sRGB emulation (that uses specific gamma curve) or  Rec.709 (that uses gamma 2.4 or similar). Display with HW calibration allows to make this emulation. TVs… I’ve never met one before, but I will do some on the next week, Sony box needs Calman to do it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS