Calibrating to Web Design with i1 Display Pro Plus

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating to Web Design with i1 Display Pro Plus

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hyperknot
    Participant

Hi, after spending some time with the X-Rite software, I’d like to move to DisplayCAL.

My setup is the following: Dell S2721QS screen, i1 Display Pro Plus colorimeter, MacOS.

My questions:

1. What correction should I use? From the help I guess I need to use a CCSS file / Spectral correction right? For my screen, there are 2 CCSS files, which ones should I use? One is with ColorMunki, other is with i1 Pro 2: link
    2. For web design, should I use sRGB or Gamma 2.2? I believe everything on the web is sRGB, so I should be using sRGB, but I read the advice here on the forum that it should be Gamma 2.2 instead.
    3. Which profile type should I be using? For recent macOS I’ve read that I need a matrix based profile. The default I see is single curve + matrix. Shouldn’t it be curves + matrix?
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Hyperknot.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Hyperknot.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Hyperknot
    Participant

I’ve done a “Report on uncalibrated display device” both with 100-100-100 and with 96-94-97 RGB sliders. Here is how they look:

100-100-100:

12:07:33,597 Black level = 0.0954 cd/m^2
    12:07:33,597 50%   level = 23.88 cd/m^2
    12:07:33,597 White level = 120.21 cd/m^2
    12:07:33,597 Aprox. gamma = 2.33
    12:07:33,597 Contrast ratio = 1261:1
    12:07:33,597 White chromaticity coordinates 0.3137, 0.3378
    12:07:33,597 White    Correlated Color Temperature = 6393K, DE 2K to locus =  9.2
    12:07:33,597 White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6392K, DE 2K to locus =  5.6

96-94-97

12:01:54,677 Black level = 0.1129 cd/m^2
    12:01:54,677 50%   level = 24.69 cd/m^2
    12:01:54,677 White level = 119.07 cd/m^2
    12:01:54,677 Aprox. gamma = 2.27
    12:01:54,677 Contrast ratio = 1055:1
    12:01:54,677 White chromaticity coordinates 0.3131, 0.3295
    12:01:54,677 White    Correlated Color Temperature = 6476K, DE 2K to locus =  4.7
    12:01:54,677 White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6479K, DE 2K to locus =  0.0

Note the gamma changing as well as losing 20% contrast. It is with default 75% contrast.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Hyperknot.

Hyperknot
    Participant

I played a lot with it today, I came up with the following:
    Correction : Spectral with i1 Pro 2
    Office & Web preset, changed to white level 120
    RGB sliders adjusted from Service Menu, to give higher contrast.
    simple curve + matrix

“Very high” speed calibration gave the attached verification.

What confuses me is the white point in the verification. I want to set 6500 K, then why is it assuming it to 6600 K or 6300 K?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Hyperknot.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi, after spending some time with the X-Rite software, I’d like to move to DisplayCAL.

My setup is the following: Dell S2721QS screen, i1 Display Pro Plus colorimeter, MacOS.

My questions:

1. What correction should I use? From the help I guess I need to use a CCSS file / Spectral correction right? For my screen, there are 2 CCSS files, which ones should I use? One is with ColorMunki, other is with i1 Pro 2: link

Plot them using “i” button in DisplayCAL correction list. Choose one that is not created from a simulated gamut and (if possible) at 3nm.

1. For web design, should I use sRGB or Gamma 2.2? I believe everything on the web is sRGB, so I should be using sRGB, but I read the advice here on the forum that it should be Gamma 2.2 instead.

macOS, color managed enviroment. It does not matter. You can put 2.6 and color management engine SHOULD undo it to whatever TRC has the profile asociated to image/color you are showing.
    Usually 2.2 is closer to native behavior, so less to correct.

1. Which profile type should I be using? For recent macOS I’ve read that I need a matrix based profile. The default I see is single curve + matrix. Shouldn’t it be curves + matrix?

Default profile configuration to avoid the issues in simple/faulty MacOS color management engine.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Vincent.

Hyperknot
    Participant

Thanks for the answers. For default profile configuration, do you mean “Default (Gamma 2.2)” or “restore defaults” + Office & Web (D65, Gamma 2.2)?

For the correction, how can I see if it’s made with a simulated gamut? Both of them are 3.3 nm.

The most confused I’m about is the white point. As I see I have 2 options in the OSD and in DisplayCAL:
    – OSD: use standard profile or use custom RGB values. Using custom RGB values in the OSD take away from the contrast a bit (10-20%).
    – DisplayCAL: “As measured” vs. D65

It’d be really important for me to have the right white point. Do you say that even the Default profile / “As measured” white point can correct the white-point for me?

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks for the answers. For default profile configuration, do you mean “Default (Gamma 2.2)” or “restore defaults” + Office & Web (D65, Gamma 2.2)?

I cannot run DisplayCAL on macOS right now, I do not remember the exct literal.

For the correction, how can I see if it’s made with a simulated gamut? Both of them are 3.3 nm.

You should not see some channel as a combination of others. Plot them and take a screenshot.

The most confused I’m about is the white point. As I see I have 2 options in the OSD and in DisplayCAL:
    – OSD: use standard profile or use custom RGB values. Using custom RGB values in the OSD take away from the contrast a bit (10-20%).
    – DisplayCAL: “As measured” vs. D65

It’d be really important for me to have the right white point. Do you say that even the Default profile / “As measured” white point can correct the white-point for me?

No. If you use as measured DisplayCAL won’t do anything in GPU LUT to correct white, hence correct it previously using RGB gains. You can use D65 as taregt to so it will guide you, but whatever you cannot do on OSD will be done in GPU LUT, limiting one or two channels max output, usually you do not want that , so use RGB gains in OSD.

Hyperknot
    Participant

I made a screenshot from the corrections.

OK, so full reset + “Office & Web, D65, Gamma 2.2” in the app is all that I need right? In the screen, I can use the OSD controls or I can leave them at 100% and check which results in higher contrast?

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

That Dell seems a common WLED PFS, 9x% p3 flavor. Both CCSS were measured at native gamut. You can use any of them or generic 1nm “Panasonic VVX17P051J00.ccss” bundled with DisplayCAL.

Hyperknot
    Participant

I did two calibrations, both in RGB 100-100-100 and in a custom one for the D65 whitepoint. Here are the “extended verification testchart” reports for both.

Is it just me or does the 100-100-100 look better?

Or the problem with 100-100-100 is around gradients?

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

It’s a little weird you get that bad grey scale on both, and it looks like you use slow setting in DisplayCAL calibration so greyscale should not be “so bad”, with that relative high oscilations in a*.
    Check if you had something in your GPU control panel that is messing with this, or monitor OSD control (overshoot/undershoot, set AMA/Speed to a slower pace).
    If those settings are OK and you cannot improve greyscale, maybe monitor is bad and cannot be improved from what you get, but IMHO that grey range is weird since black point is more or less on the spot.

Hyperknot
    Participant

There is nothing in macOS and the OSD is also on Off setting for everything. I recalibrated and did the test with “Large verification chart”.

Is this normal that the curves look like this?

Isn’t it possible that the monitor is trying to emulate sRGB or something?

Anyway, it’s an entry level 4K from Dell, definitely not something which is made for color work, I just want to get the most out of it.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Is this normal that the curves look like this?

If monitor behaves badly, yes, calibration curves may look even worse.

Isn’t it possible that the monitor is trying to emulate sRGB or something?

In TRC? Read the numbers.
    In colorspace? It should not unless you did something in OSD. Anyway, numbers will tell you.

Hyperknot
    Participant

> Read the numbers.

How can I do that? Actually, is there a way to graph the curve what I get when doing a “Report on uncalibrated display device”? It’d help a lot when trying out OSD settings.

Vincent
    Participant

You can see “gamma” value for input in TRC graph (profile) or you can see gamma value for input (expected/measured) in HTML report.
    Same for RGBCMY primaries+secondaries coordinates in CIE xyY (or whatever you choose, but keep in mind that they are translated to PCS, you have to check abs in report to read measured values)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS