Calibrating Resolve for Web delivery

Home Forums General Discussion Calibrating Resolve for Web delivery

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Victor FESTOU
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I don’t know whether or not to apply the 3D Color Viewer LUT in the Davinci Resolve config, here’s why:
    I don’t have a decklink so I followed the guide “Creating a 3D LUT for the GUI color viewer” to create a system-wide icc profile with displayCAL and then a 3DLut for the Resolve viewer specifically.
    If I color correct a shot, then take a Still (extract a frame) in Resolve, export it in .jpeg, and open it with Firefox (in which I linked the .icc profile in the config to make it colour managed if I understand it correctly), all colors are correct. If i do the same in XnView with again the .icc profile linked, no problem. In Paint though, the colors are not accurate.
    Now for the main problem: if I export my color corrected shot with Resolve, and open it with all kinds of viewer, the results are always off. VLC is the worse, Windows Media Player has wrong colors and MPC-HC is problematic, as if I check “Color management”, the colors are right, but the gamma is wrong (clipped blacks), and if I don’t check it, colors are wrong but gamma is the same as in the Resolve viewer. I downloaded MPC-BC and configured MadVR with another LUT created in DisplayCAL and there everything is correct.
    So I assume that my calibration is accurate, and that it’s just that color management for video is a mess…
    If I upload my video to Youtube or Vimeo or any player, the colors will be wrong, and will look the same as mpc-hc without “Color management” checked or Windows Media Player. If I put “No LUT selected” in the 3D Color Viewer LUT in Resolve, then I get the same result in all video viewers and youtube/vimeo, but I know this is technically wrong as if I extract a still and view it in Firefox, it will then show wrong colors.
    So my question is, as the videos I’m grading are always put on Youtube/Vimeo, is it better (while being technically incorrect) to grade without the 3D Color Viewer LUT, to get the same result in Youtube/Vimeo as in Resolve, or should I just accept that colors will be shifted?

I’m sorry if I’m not very clear, english isn’t my first language and I’m kinda lost in all of this.

Another question, if I use a decklink between my computer and my main monitor, if I understood everything the conversion will be operated in the expansion card and not by the gpu/windows color management and therefore should see identical results in any viewer or any browser and no color shifts?

Thank you for your help

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So my question is, as the videos I’m grading are always put on Youtube/Vimeo, is it better (while being technically incorrect) to grade without the 3D Color Viewer LUT, to get the same result in Youtube/Vimeo as in Resolve, or should I just accept that colors will be shifted?

I would grade with LUT active. That way, a correctly calibrated screen (or using a 3D LUT) will show the intended results. Ignore the uncalibrated result unless you are aiming at a single specific device with a known gamut and tone response.

Another question, if I use a decklink between my computer and my main monitor, if I understood everything the conversion will be operated in the expansion card and not by the gpu/windows color management and therefore should see identical results in any viewer or any browser and no color shifts?

The DeckLink can only be used by specific software, it won’t show your desktop. Any LUT needs to be configured in Resolve or via external LUT box.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS