Calibrating my display

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating my display

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Mihle
    Participant

I have a LG 32UD89. I dont know if I think its as good as I expected out of the box yet, but thats something else.
    I have tried to figure out what setting on the monitor is the best starting point before calibration.

There is 4 gamma modes on the monitor.
    the first after that is ofc set the colour options to get white balance correct via the mesurment menu
    (there is also six colour options but have no idea bout those)
    then I try to do a validation on all the 4 modes to try to figure out whats the best starting point.
    One thing I have noticed, on this monitors it seem to be the colors close to black that is the least accurate.

Sorry if this is written as a mess, I am tired right now.
    But for my actual questions

Also, the Contrast slider is at 70 in default.
    But what I have noticed is that before calibration, setting it at 50 makes the gamma graph curve more straight horizontal, but also kills the contrast messured from around 1150:1 to around 850:1.
    So I am not sure what of them to go for?

Is it better to set the one gamma options that makes the gamma graph more straight, or the one that makes the average or maximum ΔE*00 best (smallest)?

Also, 120cm/d is what I have seen that you should do so thats what I am doing

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Mihle.

Vincent
    Participant

contrast = default factory value

6axis is for limiting gamut, usually you di not want to mess with it, factory values

-Choose colorimeter correction suitable for that display if you use acolorimeyter, set 3nm or better mode if you use a spectro

-Set RGB gains to your desired white

-test which OSD gamam mode is closer to your calibration target TRC/gamma. Select it after finding the fittest

-Calibrate & profile with whatever ofter options you like most (calibration speed medium, single curve+matrix and blackpoint compensation may be one simple solution valid for most users since it has the less number of collateral efects)

Mihle
    Participant

The gamma setting on the monitor that is the best is the one with straightest or most flat points in the gamma graph right?
    Or is it more important for it to be more colour accurate?

And if the last one, is Average ΔE*00 or Maximum ΔE*00 the most important?

(this questions is related to finding the right gamma mode BEFORE profiling and stuff not after)

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Mihle.

Mihle
    Participant

I mean, the best one is the one with most points on gamma graph is closest to the 2.2 Line all the way from 0-100% in validation report right?
    And I should choose gamma setting in monitor settings based on that more than what the color accuracy when its before calibration/profiling?

I forgot I said I use Colormunki Display.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Mihle.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

If your gamma target is 2.2 yes. No calibration loaded, measure grey, choose the one that gets closer.

If that LG is a 95% P3 choose spectral correction WLED PFS phosphor 95% P3 for your munki display.

Mihle
    Participant

If that LG is a 95% P3 choose spectral correction WLED PFS phosphor 95% P3 for your munki display.

You mean the one that is “LCD PFSP Phosphor WLED IPS, 94% P3 (Panasonic VVX17051J00 in Lenovo P709” or “LCD PFS Phosphor WLED family”?

Vincent
    Participant

Panasonic. Plot it and you’ll see. The other one is a pack of several WLED PFS and some of the ones packed there are not like your display.

Mihle
    Participant

Panasonic. Plot it and you’ll see. The other one is a pack of several WLED PFS and some of the ones packed there are not like your display.

Nice, that works better, I wondered if my monitor was so bad as it seemed while it was supposed to be good, but I guess its not.

Mihle
    Participant

Files is pefore profiling and stuff of 2 gamma modes, with correction and contrast at 70

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mihle
    Participant

One of the gamma settings seem to be more correct colour temperature while the other have more correct gamma before profiling and stuff. Hmm.

Mihle
    Participant

Weird, LG customer service I contacted a while ago asking if it was just WLED or WLED PFS came back to me and said it was just WLED now… that doesnt seem right

Vincent
    Participant

Weird, LG customer service I contacted a while ago asking if it was just WLED or WLED PFS came back to me and said it was just WLED now… that doesnt seem right

They don’t care, or even don’t know (Customer service). Also it’s a WLED …but a WLED PFS phosphor (see SPD in CCSS) instead of traditional sRGB WLED (blue led + yellow phosphor)

Mihle
    Participant

Results after calibration if anyone that stumble over this Thread cares

Its not close to 95% P3 at all but meh

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Mihle.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Mihle.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mihle
    Participant

(I did not know what you ment by SPD in CCSS btw)

Vincent
    Participant

SPD = Spectral power distrubution = “amount” of light per wavelegth.

So it is not a P3 display, it’s just like an sRGB display with a little extended gamut. It could be like “common” WLED used in EA275UHD, or it could be some weird YAG nanocell variant. Unless there is a review with SPD plot or another user uploads a CCSS for your display … you cannot know.

BTW results seem fine but since spectral correction is not the “proper one” for that display white may not be actual white. Try to find the proper one or use visual white point editor approach or keep it as is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS