Calibrating identical Dell U2715Hs – one always ends up green

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating identical Dell U2715Hs – one always ends up green

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Kyle
    Participant

I recently got two Dell U2715Hs (both dated 9/2016), one was calibrated very well out of the box and one had way too much blue. I went out and bought an i1 DIsplay Pro as apparently my old i1 doesn’t work well with LEDs.

DisplayCAL pretty much made no changes to the “good” monitor but on the “bad” monitor it seems to turn down the blue so far there’s now too much green. This is noticeable on grey menus etc which now have a green tint.

I went back through the calibration and noticed that there’s black point / brightness settings which I missed. After I calibrate the white point / contrast I notice that green is way too high in the black point but as soon as I adjust that I mess up the white point settings and vice versa. Is there a trick to doing it?

I gave up and used the ADC feature in the X-Rite software. This too created a profile with too much green but it was a lot better than DisplayCAL and could be mostly fixed by eye. However, using ADC has created profiles for each monitor with drastically different brightness and contrast settings which makes one monitor seem to have brighter whites.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

DisplayCAL pretty much made no changes to the “good” monitor but on the “bad” monitor it seems to turn down the blue so far there’s now too much green. This is noticeable on grey menus etc which now have a green tint.

Pick one display as your visual white reference, adjust the other’s white to match. Then, set whitepoint in DisplayCAL to “As measured” and calibrate/profile normally.

Kyle
    Participant

I cheated and used the whitepoint picker and measured from the “good” monitor. This seems to have matched colours very well but one monitor is still a tad brighter so I will have to match it by eye like you said.

However I think the reason I was getting such big differences previously is that DisplayCAL doesn’t always unload profiles. Sometimes “use my settings for this display”,  “load calibration from current display profile(s)”, and “reset video card gamma table” do nothing and I have to restart to make them work again. Also when I remove old profiles they don’t seem to stay removed and keep reappearing.

Thus I think yesterday when calibrating it was actually doing so while an old X-Rite generated profile was loaded. If I turn the calibrations made today on and off there is little difference on either monitor compared to yesterday where one monitor had massive differences.

I think the problem might be caused by the built in colour management in Windows. Should “use windows display calibration” be ticked or not?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Kyle.

Kyle
    Participant

I’ve found that DisplayCAL doesn’t reload the profiles when monitors are turned off/on (but does when returning from sleep). Do I need to run something like Color Profile Keeper even with DispalyCAL running?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I think yesterday when calibrating it was actually doing so while an old X-Rite generated profile was loaded.

That’s not how it works. Calibration is always reset by Argyll CMS before starting calibration measurements.

Should “use windows display calibration” be ticked or not?

If you want to use the DisplayCAL profile loader (highly recommended due to the shortcomings of Windows’s built in c alibration loading facility), then no.

Sometimes “use my settings for this display”, “load calibration from current display profile(s)”, and “reset video card gamma table” do nothing and I have to restart to make them work again.

[…]

I’ve found that DisplayCAL doesn’t reload the profiles when monitors are turned off/on (but does when returning from sleep).

That sounds like the profile loader isn’t active. Disable “use windows display calibration” in Windows color management settings, and make sure “fix profile associations” is enabled in the loader.

Kyle
    Participant

That sounds like the profile loader isn’t active. Disable “use windows display calibration” in Windows color management settings, and make sure “fix profile associations” is enabled in the loader.

That fixed it.

1. Windows’ “use windows display calibration” = off
    2. DisplayCAL’s “preserve calibration state” = on
    3. DisplayCAL’s “automatically fix profile associations” = on

That’s not how it works. Calibration is always reset by Argyll CMS before starting calibration measurements.

Something strange was going on the first day. I calibrated the “bad” monitor the first time with the X-Rite software just to see what X-Rite’s software was like these days and once that was done tried out DisplayCAL. DisplayCAL was calibrating the “good” monitor (that had no custom profiles yet) very well but the “bad” monitor (that already had a profile from X-Rite) it was turning green and when the profile was disabled the monitor would turn yellow. I don’t mean a greener or yellower white but literally the greys in the Windows GUI were green or yellow.

On the second day I deleted all the profiles from the first day, restarted, etc, and now DisplayCAL was calibrating both monitors very well and there’s barely a difference on either monitor when the profiles are toggled on and off. One has a redder white and one a greener white but that’s just the whitepoint that still needs adjusting properly and unless you’re purposefully pulling up solid colours to compare it’s not that noticeable anyway.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS