Calibrating “HDR” Laptop Monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating “HDR” Laptop Monitor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Branagh
    Participant

Dear community,

I’m new to this forum and also to the software, so please bear with me if some of my questions reveal a lack of knowledge. đŸ™‚ My situation is that I’ve just purchased a new workstation (Lenovo P53) which came with an HD Display which at the same time features a certain HDR400 standard. It covers about 90-95% of sRGB. I tried to calibrate and profile it with my newly aquired SpyderX but the calibration results were terrifyingly bad using their software and recommended settings. The general issue I have with this monitor is that it is very contrasty and the colors are quite oversaturated, especially outside of color managed environments, not unlike what I experienced on a wide gamut display I owned once.

Using Display Cal I had better success calibrating and the best I could get the monitor to look outside of Photoshop was with the L* tonal curve. It is still very contrasty and oversaturated, however. Now, since I’m not very experienced with either calibration or DisplayCal my question is do you have any tips on how to improve the calibration?

Thanks a lot in advance!

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Branagh
    Participant

Well, maybe my question is too dumb or maybe there are no solutions and I should have bought a different setup. But can someone perhaps explain why I see these oversaturated reds for example? I thought this was a result of the monitors gamut exceeding sRGB and therefore displaying colors way too saturated. However, the gamut of the monitor apparently does not exceed sRGB. Is the contrast too high?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS