Calibrating for Gaming (Reshade) and Movie watching (madVR)?

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating for Gaming (Reshade) and Movie watching (madVR)?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

p5a SourceForge

Hi team, thank you for developing this application. I bought Spyder5 express just for this and I’ve been doing extensive reading and did dozens of calibration over the past week.

I plan on calibrating color in games as well as movies, so I understand that I should:
    1) Make reshade file
    2) Make madVR file

But when I follow instructions for either one, am I undoing each other’s calibration? I started off with Office Gamma 2.2 D65 preset calibration to get me started, but these instructions for reshade and madVR seem to change my monitor one after each other. Could anyone help clear my confusion? I have a few other questions but I don’t want to get ahead of myself.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi, if you already have a profile, you can create both 3D LUTs off of it.

• Enable the 3D LUT tab in the options menu and select it.
    • Disable “Create 3D LUT after profiling” and follow the steps below.
    • Set rendering intent to “Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling” if you want the standardized D65 target whitepoint, or “Relative colorimetric” if you want to use the current display whitepoint

Creating the madVR 3D LUT:

• Set 3D LUT format to madVR
    • Set encoding to TV RGB 16..235
    • Click “Create 3D LUT” and install it.

Creating the ReShade 3D LUT:

• If the specific game that you want to use the 3D LUT with does not reset the video card gamma table, you need to make sure the calibration is not applied twice. This can be done in two ways. If you can’t determine if the game resets the video card gamma table or not, you can use something like profile keeper to make sure the calibration stays in the video card (and then use option 2 below)
      • Option 1: Create a profile without calibrating by seting tone curve on the calibration tab to “As measured”
      • Option 2: Or, enable advanced options in the “Options” menu and disable “Apply calibration (vcgt)” on the 3D LUT tab

NOTE that with the release of DisplayCAL 3.1, the recommended way to ensure the correct calibration state is to use the DisplayCAL profile loader as described in the Wiki.

• Set 3D LUT format to ReShade
    • Set encoding to Full RGB 0..255
    • Click “Create 3D LUT” and install it. Note that ReShade must be already installed for the game.
    • This reply was modified on 2015-12-20 11:22:40 by fhoech.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Florian Höch. Reason: Update instructions

p5a SourceForge

Note that ReShade must be already installed for the game.

Why? Can’t I just create 3d lut and install it in the game folder either before or after I install ReShade? I’m using Mediator.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That won’t work. The 3D LUT shader will be added as an include directive to ReShade.fx, so that needs to be already installed, otherwise installing ReShade will overwrite that file, thus disabling the 3D LUT.

p5a SourceForge

Wouldn’t it be better if I just did option 2 and used Profile Keeper for every game with Reshade?

p5a SourceForge

Also, what if I’m using my TV for this? Should I change input and output encoding to 16-255 if I’m running limited on my tv?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Most likely no, because the graphics card takes care of the 16-235 conversion, so the LUT must still be 0-255.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Wouldn’t it be better if I just did option 2 and used Profile Keeper for every game with Reshade?

That’s what I would do.

• This reply was modified on 2015-12-27 19:56:50 by fhoech.

p5a SourceForge

For Reshade, what about “Options>Do not use video card gamma table to apply calibration”? Should that be checked or unchecked as well?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Leave that unchecked.

Note that if you use profile keeper, it needs to be disabled/closed during calibration.

SuspiciousPixel
    Participant

Hi

For gaming when creating a 3D LUT for ReShade format should the rendering intent match the same that was used to create a profile?

I’ve noticed that when I go to  Profile settings, click on the gear icon the default is perceptual but when I go to the 3D LUT tab it is Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

For gaming when creating a 3D LUT for ReShade format should the rendering intent match the same that was used to create a profile?

I’ve noticed that when I go to  Profile settings, click on the gear icon the default is perceptual but when I go to the 3D LUT tab it is Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling.

The two do different things, ie. the advanced profile setting just sets a flag in the profile, but you still have access to all supported intents in applications (and many applications actually ignore the flag).

The 3D LUT on the other hand is a “baked” transform, so the rendering intent choice here does influence the result.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS