Calibrating for Adobe Premiere

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating for Adobe Premiere

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Alan B
    Participant

Hi ,

I would like to first thank you for maintaining this amazing app, maintaining the forum and helping people with color calibration issue.

I am a video editor and I own a spyder calibration device, I have two mid tier not totally professional monitor, enough for my work which is mostly for web, and I would like to make sure I am calibrating them the right way.

So, I know that Premiere bypasses ICC profiles and defaults to Rec 709.   So, what I am doing is creating a 3D LUT that I can apply manually in Premiere. But , I am trying to understand the reasoning here and for that I would like to ask a few questions:

• Right now, my monitor has an ICC profile applied via desktop, when I calibrate with DisplayCal to create a 3D LUT for Premiere, how do I make sure that Display Cal is calibrating without applying that ICC profile? because if it calibrates with that, then the result will not be accurate since that ICC profile will not be applied when in Premiere.
    • Also, now that my video is displayed mainly in web, and web is srgb (which is slightly different than Rec 709) , so what should I do in DisplayCAL to calibrate my monitor and create a 3D LUT for SRGB to have an accurate rendition of how my videos will look in web?

Any help is welcome.

I guess that makes sense, I am new to color management and I am sorry if those are silly questions.

Best,

Alan B

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

what’s your operating system?

Alan B
    Participant

I have a MAC and Windows 10 also. I work in both platforms.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m not sure if Premiere is color managed under Mac OS X (usually color management is applied system-wide under OS X). Under Windows, there is no system color management, so you just need to make sure that the calibration (vcgt) is not applied to the 3D LUT (enable advanced options to see the setting).

Alan B
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Thanks for your help.  When you say that “Under Windows, there is no system color management” you mean that Premiere does not have color management in Windows and defaults to Rec 709 or?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When you say that “Under Windows, there is no system color management” you mean that Premiere does not have color management in Windows

No, what I mean is that the system itself (Windows) does not color manage practically any of its components (e.g. desktop and default applications).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS