Calibrating Benq monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating Benq monitor

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Artv
    Participant

Hi

I’m calibrating a Benq EW3270U HDR monitor.  It has a VA panel. Displaycal picks up a specific correction for it which I’m using (BenQ EW3270U (spectraval 1511).

The calibration results are decent, but the contrast is measure as only about 275:1 at 120cdm2. With a black luminance of 0.44. I had noticed even by eye that blacks are quite washed out with this monitor. Definately improved with profiling.

My settings are default with the previously mentioned correction.

The specs for this monitor are 3000:1!

Any ideas. I’m using a iDisplay Pro. For verification I have defaults, with simulation profile ticked and sRGB selection.

Also is it possible to check the screen in HDR mode? How would one do that?

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Artv.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

The calibration results are decent, but the contrast is measure as only about 275:1 at 120cdm2. With a black luminance of 0.44. I had noticed even by eye that blacks are quite washed out with this monitor.

Measure contrast without profile, if it is low then there could be some misconfigurations in your system:
    -your OSD configuration is wrong, you made your Benq to behave with extremely low contrast because of the settings you chose (or by default factory settings)
    -some video level vs PC level issue at monitor or graphics card configuration, or some OS misconfiguration related to display
    -broken/faulty display

Definately improved with profiling.

It is not possible to improve black (0,0,0) luminance with GPU calibration or profiling. It’s working as expected.

Artv
    Participant

Thanks.

Well I have tried every mode of the monitor. Only HDR modes give contrast ratios over 2000:1.

All standard modes give contrast ratios from 285:1 to 600:1.

I don’t really follow what your recommendation is? Black levels in windows HDR mode – are around 0.11 which give the higher contrast ratios. Black levels in sdr modes are from 0.3 to 1.4!

It’s not a faulty monitor – but just trying to work out if it monitor says it’s 3000:1 – how would you reproduce that – could it be referring to HDR mode? And as before – can I test in HDR mode – DisplayCal doesn’t appear to work properly in HDR mode – the Windows SDR slider controls the brightness.

Vincent
    Participant

Black levels in windows HDR mode – are around 0.11 which give the higher contrast ratios. Black levels in sdr modes are from 0.3 to 1.4!

It’s not a faulty monitor – but just trying to work out if it monitor says it’s 3000:1

If a LED VA monitor from 2018 cannot give you more than 600:1 at native white SDR … it’s faulty (that unit, not model! of course).

Is it unable to give you more than this CR of 600:1 in SDR …or is it something you did to OSD configuration?
    IDNK but you can.
    Displays usually have a factory reset configuration in OSD, try that. Monitor will be reset to factory values in RGB gain, contrast and brightness. Then you can try if at native whiet you can or cannot increase contrast with those OSD controls. If you can’t improve contrast beyond that values… it’s faulty. I would return for refund and try another unit from the same model.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Vincent.

Artv
    Participant

That’s concerning thanks. And thanks for the quick response.

Yes I’ve factory reset monitor. I’ve made no changes to contrast – although just tried than and get even worse results. I’ve tried all the picture modes. The best modes give 600:1. But default mode is 274:1.

So before I contact manufacturer – is there a quick way to check contrast of the monitor as it comes? I’ve been running the verification with default settings and ticking “use sim profile as display profile” to test uncalibrated display

Is that right?

Thank you.

Vincent
    Participant

Tools > Report > uncalibrated screen report

Results will be in log text window.

Artv
    Participant

ok thanks that’s quicker. 240:1 – seem a bit low!

namefaceguy
    Participant

You should change the calibration profile for the benq if you haven’t already.  I had a similar problem with contrast and I switch the calibration profile and it fixed it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS