Calibrating Acer XB1 (XB271HUT) to look like Dell U2515H

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating Acer XB1 (XB271HUT) to look like Dell U2515H

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

gamdschiee
    Participant

Hey,

I got the Acer since Monday. The Dell is in my opinion perfect. The colors are so good thanks to that AH-IPS panel, which the Acer unfortunately doesn’t have. He has as AHVA-IPS panel, which is not that good as AH-IPS.

In the attachment you can find some pictures for comparison. I made some with 6500K and 3500K (when I work/study late). The Dell is left and the Acer on the right side of the pictures.

I’ve never changed anything on the Dell it’s on factory settings since Dell calibrates the monitors by themselves I think. I always loved the colors on the Dell. But with the Acer I orientated myself on following settings: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/5fmg81/acer_predator_xb271hu_high_accuracy_calibration/ –> I did exactly what “option 1” there says besides I have R: 92 B: 90 B: 95 because I think it looks so better in comparison with the Dell. I also loaded the option1 .icm profile.

I think both screens look good on any pictures, but on which monitor does it look more real? Also do you think I can match them more closely? I have calibration instrument Spyder5Elite and this software DisplayCal already downloaded. But here in need some help please. What would you recommend me to do?

greetings,

gamdschiee

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

gamdschiee
    Participant

Now I also tested the AOC Agon AG271QG. But somehow the colors here look still dirty after calibrating. On the picture below you can see the Dell on the left side, the Acer in the middle and the AOC on the very right.

I just want to have a monitor which is very closely to my Dell U2515H. Is it possible to get e.g. the Acer still nearer to the Dell?

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

please see the FAQ.

gamdschiee
    Participant

Hey Florian,

thanks for the answer. I compared a word program on each screens like last time and than I let the Acer calibrate and profile over the night with my room light ON. I did exactly what the FAQ said.

I made some pictures of my result and they have following order: Acer, Dell, Acer, Dell

You can see that the Dell really looks way better. So I am not sure, I really think it is only because AH-IPS panels are WAY better than AHVA-IPS ones. Unfortunately there is no 144Hz Monitor with AH-IPS panel.

Or what do you think, can I still improve it or should I buy another monitor with AHVA-panel and see if it is better? (Or maybbe I just should get used to it, but I really want to make that better)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by gamdschiee.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by gamdschiee.
    Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

I made some pictures of my result and they have following order: Acer, Dell, Acer, Dell

You can see that the Dell really looks way better. So I am not sure, I really think it is only because AH-IPS panels are WAY better than AHVA-IPS ones. Unfortunately there is no 144Hz Monitor with AH-IPS panel.

Those seem to be photos of your monitors while running games. Some games clear 1D LUT calibration present in GPU, others don’t. There was a list a few years ago related to game suport in another LUT loader called ColorSustainer, now it will be outdated  but may  be worth looking at it.

You should do that kind of comparisons at desktop level: white or grey, or black to white gradations in order to check gamma “visually”.
    Different monitors could have very different “factory settings” response (grey to me more specific) so they require different 1D LUT calibration loaded into GPU LUT hardware. In systems (HW+SW) that are not able to load a “clean”/”smooth” calibration due to rounding errors in LUTs even with a “perfect” 256entryx16bit 1D LUT correction for that particular monitor in ICM file you can get slight color cast in grey gradients or grey solid colors, or grey  wallpapers/backgrounds.

For “vivid” colors like sRGB’s red or green you should compare your results visually in a color managed application, or a video player with full color management. Those WLED sRGB monitors may share sRGB % coverage, but their gamuts outside sRGB may be different.

Contrast mismatch can be solved lowering contrast of the “better” display, which may be against your gaming goals.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Vincent.

gamdschiee
    Participant

Thanks for you answer!

You should do that kind of comparisons at desktop level: white or grey, or black to white gradations in order to check gamma “visually”

Yes I did that before I calibrated and profiled my Acer. I opened Word for the white and gray color and set my RGB’s to R: 100, G: 96, B: 100 so that it is closely as possible. Afer that I let it 8 hours calibrating and profiling over the night only with my room light turned right above my screens, but I think there fell no direct light to the Acer-monitor.

I personally think that e.g. the VoIP service Discord, whose UI in windows basically is made of different gray tiles. In my opinion the darker gray is on the Acer slightly more “yellow” than on the Dell. In the end the Dell U2515h (which I will not use as Gaming monitor) is better. In Desktop-Mode or surfing I can tell the difference a bit, but when I compare the monitors to a game like Witcher 3 the differences are huge like I showed you in my last post.

It is very hard to show you the difference in gray, white on a word program or discord, because my phone and the lights in my room ruin them, so it looks very weird on the picture. (like in my first post at all)

Vincent
    Participant

In Desktop-Mode or surfing I can tell the difference a bit, but when I compare the monitors to a game like Witcher 3 the differences are huge like I showed you in my last post.

That differences could be because game clears calibration (try to find out if there is a tweak or in game configuration to avoid that like in that game list I said; look for ColorSustainer in Guru3d I think… google it)  or because different native gamuts (some monitors have a “sRGB factory calibration” with gamut limitation…others not, try to activate them your monitors).

gamdschiee
    Participant

Okay now I understand. I have to load the .icm file “into” the hardware gpu. I downloaded ColorSustainer and associated my created .icm profile by DisplayCal last night with it. But it seems that it didn’t help, unfortunately. First picture the Acer and 2nd the Dell for comparison again.

After I closed the game and looked at the picture I noticed flickering. (like changing the gamma or contrast? not sure). I stopped “ColorSustainer” and then it was gone.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Okay now I understand. I have to load the .icm file “into” the hardware gpu. I downloaded ColorSustainer and associated my created .icm profile by DisplayCal last night with it. But it seems that it didn’t help, unfortunately. First picture the Acer and 2nd the Dell for comparison again.

DisplayCAL tray app (calling ArgyllCMS) does this for you. ArgyllCMS loads calibration (VCGT tag of ICM file content) to GPU hardware.
    ColorSustainer is just another way of doing it.

If you game “unloads”/”clears” calibration from GPU, then you won’t be able to correct it while gaming… the only modifications you can do are those that stay “in monitor” like those modifications made by OSD buttons. So if you want tha kind of quality forget 1XX Hz monitors and get a good 60Hz sRGB monitor with HW calibration like EA series from NEC… and maybe some mid/high end sRGB/P3 Samsung/LG models (but good/aceptable uniofrmity is not guaranteed).

Another option is to try ReShade (software LUT3D running on GPU shader for some games) but I never used it so I cannot help you. Read DisplayCAL documentation or google for ReShade.

gamdschiee
    Participant

I tried a bit of calibrating and profiling on my other AOC Agon AG271QG I have. And it worked very well to match it near the Dell U2515h in Desktop mode. It looks way better than the Acer XB271HUt to be honest. And additionally in Witcher 3 too it seems. But I noticed following: despite the changes in Witcher 3 from fullscreen mode to windowed mode it changes nothing. In Overwatch or other games you see the difference: fullscreen f.lux is e.g. OFF and windowed it’s turned ON. Same goes for the profiles I guess.

But I noticed something and have a question:

Why can’t I use f.lux and DisplayCAL Profile Loader 3.6.2 at the same time? Because in the evening from 4pm and past I need f.lux otherwise my eyes are starting to hurt(while surfing, white surfaces etc.). When I activate/start f.lux the profile loader gets deactivated. But is this a problem for the color quality itself? Is the .icm file deactivated then?

Also I do not even have ArgyllCMS or is this the same as “DisplayCal Profile Loader” ?

PS: Thanks for the ReShade tips, there are a lot of files for color improvement etc. for all kind of games. I’ll try them out when I have more time.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Games are not color managed and have no notion of ICC profiles. Only the calibration may affect a game.

Why can’t I use f.lux and DisplayCAL Profile Loader 3.6.2 at the same time?

Because they both alter the video card gamma tables. The Windows 10 evening mode may be an alternative to f.lux, it uses shaders instead (afaik).

Because in the evening from 4pm and past I need f.lux otherwise my eyes are starting to hurt(while surfing, white surfaces etc.).

You screen brightness is also likely set too high for dim environments. f.lux also serves a different purpose, to reduce the levels of blue light in the evening and late hours, to help the body’s day/night cycle not go out of whack due to blue light exposure (blue light has an activating effect, which can make it harder to get a healthy dose of sleep when exposed to it too far into the evening).

gamdschiee
    Participant

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the answer. But I guess night mode on Windows 10 serves the same purpose of filtering blue light right? Because nightmode works indeed meanwhile my profiles are loaded with “DisplayCAL profile loader”.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I guess night mode on Windows 10 serves the same purpose of filtering blue light right?

Yes.

Note though that both f.lux and night mode are not suitable for color critical work. Their blue light reduction functionality is purely to help healthy sleep (I can recommend their use though if you tend to stay in front of a computer screen late, the positive effects are real and there is solid science behind it).

pyron
    Participant

So do you recommend launching it in scheduled mode? Say from 9:00pm, and closing it when you are going to do color critical work? A concern is how our eyes might need some time (hours?) to adjust to the change in temperature.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So do you recommend launching it in scheduled mode? Say from 9:00pm, and closing it when you are going to do color critical work?

That could be a solution.

A concern is how our eyes might need some time (hours?) to adjust to the change in temperature.

It doesn’t usually take that long, especially in a dim environment or if the monitor is the main source of white light in view (which it ideally would be if the workspace is setup ergonomically). More like several minutes under reasonable conditions. For color critical work, you want your eyes to be well-adapted though, i.e. neutral surround as is often used in prepress or other professional environments.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS