Calibrating a HP z27x monitor

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating a HP z27x monitor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

mv7017
    Participant

I’m a new user of DisplayCAL and have a few questions on the best settings for the calibration of a HP z27x monitor. I’m using the HP Dreamcolor colorimeter device.

1. Would a correction be necessary since the HP colorimeter is sold for use with the Z27x?

2. I have the monitor color space setting set to Adobe RGB. Should it be set to Native for the calibration? If so should I leave it set to Native once calibrated? So once calibrated should I not bother altering the color space settings? Are there any settings in DisplayCAL to calibrate the monitor in the Adobe RGB color space?

3. The z27x has no settings other than Luminance so should I untick the Interactive Display Adjustment option?

Sorry if these are very basic questions.

Many thanks

Max

• This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by mv7017. Reason: punctuation

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Would a correction be necessary since the HP colorimeter is sold for use with the Z27x?

In this case I assume the instrument has already been matched to the monitor in hardware, so no additional correction should be necessary.

Should it be set to Native for the calibration?

That’s probably a good idea to maximize the gamut for profiling.

If so should I leave it set to Native once calibrated?

Yes, that’s required. Changing any settings of the monitor requires recalibration/reprofiling.

So once calibrated should I not bother altering the color space settings?

Yes.

Are there any settings in DisplayCAL to calibrate the monitor in the Adobe RGB color space?

That’s not necessary. Once profiled, any application that properly supports ICC color management can use the monitor profile to display correct colors.

The z27x has no settings other than Luminance so should I untick the Interactive Display Adjustment option?

In that case you probably can, although you can use the interactive adjustment to get a feeling for how many cd/m2 produce an adequate match to your surround lighting situation in case you feel that information is useful to adjust the monitor again in the future.

Ievgenii Larin
    Participant

I’m having a hard time calibrating HP Z27x connect to Resolve 12.5.

The colorimeter is X-Rite Colormunki Display (original, not the one supplied with the monitor). Ambient light temperature is 6500K. The display color space is Native. Target white level is 80 cd/m². Source colorspace is Rec 709. Gamma is 2.2.

As mentioned previously HP Z27x has no settings for adjusting RGB.

No matter what I set in the preferences I get a noticeable red/pink/brown cast.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

No matter what I set in the preferences I get a noticeable red/pink/brown cast.

That sounds like something is seriously wrong. Attach the profile & logs please.

Ievgenii Larin
    Participant

Log file, ICC profile and LUT.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Please use the “Create compressed archive” button in DisplayCAL next to “Settings”, that will include all the correct files (no need to include the 3D LUT).

Ievgenii Larin
    Participant

Thanks.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks. The measurements seem botched. Try increasing the minimum display update delay on the “Display & instrument” tab (e.g. try 1000ms, advanced options need to be enabled in the “Options” menu).

Ievgenii Larin
    Participant

Pretty much the same result.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Pretty much the same result.

That result isn’t the same at all – it looks much more sane than the “rollercoaster” from the previous measurements with the weird, large brightness bumps – calibration curves are smooth, and tone response follows the expected curvature, so increasing the patch update delay was definitely the right choice. All that’s left to do now is decrease calibration speed to “fast” or “medium” and increase the amount of profiling patches again using the slider (with testchart set to “Auto”), to create a more accurate profile.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS