Calibrating a DCI P3 llaptop screen

Home Forums General Discussion Calibrating a DCI P3 llaptop screen

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Pierre
    Participant

None of my current displays are more than sRGB. But Ive just ordered a new Windows laptop with an advertised 100% DCI-P3 coverage (we’ll see) and 430 nits which should be more than enough to accurately display regular whites at 200 nits for HDR (but not specular 1000 nits highlights, of course). I’ll use the laptop mainly with Premiere Pro,  Lightroom and Photoshop, which are supposed to manage color.. I’ll deal with the apps but I’m more and more unsure if this DCI-P3 screen “upgrade” was a smart move. But I’mnow stuck with it. I’m actually a newbee in color management and I’m still at the very begining of my leaning curve : all these questions are new to me and come because of the new screen, so please forgive inadequate terms and stupid questions.

I use a i1 Display Pro. Regarding DisplayCal, I don’t remember that it ever asked me a “target” color space : it only asks for a target white brightness (so 100-120nits for sRGB) and nothing about gamut. But how does an app know if my display profile is supposed to be DCP-P3 or sRGB so as to perform soft-proofing and such ? (assuming it is all software or GPU due to the usual lack of control of laptop screens). That’s for understanding.

In practice, is there a particular procedure to calibrate a DCI-P3 screen, and can an ICCprofile be set so as it shrinks the color space to sRGB in case an app is not color managed ?

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Pierre.
    • This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Pierre.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

None of my current displays are more than sRGB. But Ive just ordered a new Windows laptop with an advertised 100% DCI-P3 coverage (we’ll see) and 430 nits which should be more than enough to accurately display regular whites at 200 nits for HDR (but not specular 1000 nits highlights, of course). I’ll use the laptop mainly with Premiere Pro,  Lightroom and Photoshop, which are supposed to manage color.. I’ll deal with the apps but I’m more and more unsure if this DCI-P3 screen “upgrade” was a smart move. But I’mnow stuck with it. I’m actually a newbee in color management and I’m still at the very begining of my leaning curve : all these questions are new to me and come because of the new screen, so please forgive inadequate terms and stupid questions.

I use a i1 Display Pro. Regarding DisplayCal, I don’t remember that it ever asked me a “target” color space : it only asks for a target white brightness (so 100-120nits for sRGB) and nothing about gamut.

GPU calibration (correcting grey color & gamma), a.k.a. “calibration for monitors without HW/internal calibration” is done at native gamut (ot at whatever OSD preset you choose in display HW).
    DisplayCAL/i1Profiler calibration is limited to grey color, the create a profile describing behavior after grey was correted: primaries, white and TRC/gamma.
    Grey calibration is stored in a VCGT tag for GPU.

But how does an app know if my display profile is supposed to be DCP-P3 or sRGB so as to perform soft-proofing and such ? (assuming it is all software or GPU due to the usual lack of control of laptop screens). That’s for understanding.

Color managed apps ask OS for current/default display profile for each display, usually when app starts. With that info they color manage using its own engine (win apps/Adobe) or relying on OS engine (macOS)

In practice, is there a particular procedure to calibrate a DCI-P3 screen, and can an ICCprofile be set so as it shrinks the color space to sRGB in case an app is not color managed ?

Let0s assume common display without OSD mones limited to sRGB or HW calibration.

In widnows you calibrate at native gamut, your desired whitepoint and closes gamma to native, usually 2.2.
    Then you can rely to 3rd party tools like the jewel “DWMLUT” to load a LUT3D that simulated an arbitrary colorspace. That LUT3D can be crated with DisplayCAL LUT3D creatol tool: source is simulate colorspace, target is your newly created ICC display profile.

If you wihs to use both color managed and no color managed apps with certain LUT3D loaded, then you must set as default profile in OS the colorspace you were simulation with LUT3D (typical example: sRGB)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS