Calibrate to sRGB with DaVinici an DisplayCAL

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrate to sRGB with DaVinici an DisplayCAL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hans
    Participant

Hello,

I already calibrated my external monitor to rec.709 with DisplayCAL and  DaVinci Resolve and it gave me great results (when viewing the results on TVs (rec.709)). But since I am grading mainly for the web I want to calibrate my external monitor to sRGB with DisplayCAL and DaVinci Resolve.

Can someone help me please on how to set DisplayCAL up  right to sRGB in the different tabs (Calibration, Profiling, 3D LUT…)?!

Here is what I am working with:

Software : Resolve Studio 12.5

Video Output: DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

Video interface: 2* DELL U2413. One for the GUI and one for monitoring (through DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K and HDMI)

Calibration Device: X-Rite i1 Display Pro

Calibration software : Display Cal 3.2.4

Will be very thankful for any advice!

Cheers

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

the sRGB tone response is available for 3D LUTs via the standalone 3D LUT maker by choosing the sRGB source profile and setting tone curve to “Apply black output offset (100%)”.

Hans
    Participant

Hi Florian,

thank you very much for your quick response!

As I am pretty new to to DisplyCAL I still have further question:

If I am understanding you correctly you advice me to first calibrate for sRGB and then using the ” the standalone 3D LUT maker by choosing the sRGB source profile and setting tone curve to ‘Apply black output offset (100%)'”. Is that correct?

If so, can you advice me on how to calibrate my monitor to sRGB via DisplayCAL, Resolve Studio 12.5, the DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K and HDMI to my external Monitor, please. Isn’t there a way somehow, like I did it with the preset ‘Video 3D LUT for Resolve (D65, Rec. 709 / Rec. 1886)’? And then load the LUT up to Resolves ‘3D Video Monitor LUT’?

Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I am understanding you correctly you advice me to first calibrate for sRGB and then using the ” the standalone 3D LUT maker by choosing the sRGB source profile and setting tone curve to ‘Apply black output offset (100%)’”. Is that correct?

Calibration (1D LUT) is not strictly necessary, the 3D LUT will do it all.

Isn’t there a way somehow, like I did it with the preset ‘Video 3D LUT for Resolve (D65, Rec. 709 / Rec. 1886)’? And then load the LUT up to Resolves ‘3D Video Monitor LUT’?

Start from that preset, but disable “create 3D LUT after profiling” on the 3D LUT tab, as you’re going to create the 3D LUT later in the standalone tool.

Mark Walter
    Participant

Hi,

I tried to open the standalone Lut maker, but it doesn’t work under macOS 10.13.1, or am I missing something?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Works fine for me. Note you cannot move it out of the directory where the main application resides, because the app contents are symlinked together.

Mark Walter
    Participant

Strange, it doesn’t work. Are you also on High Sierra?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mark Walter
    Participant

None of the programs expect for Display Cal can be opened.

Mark Walter
    Participant

Maybe this has something to do with it, but I also cannot address the video card gamma table under “Tools”. Everything is greyed out.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Strange, it doesn’t work. Are you also on High Sierra?

Yes.

Maybe Apple’s quarantine is interfering? See ticket #4949

Maybe this has something to do with it, but I also cannot address the video card gamma table under “Tools”. Everything is greyed out.

No, these items are never available under OS X.

Mark Walter
    Participant

yes, it worked! I simply ran

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/DisplayCAL/*.app

in terminal. Now all the programms work.

Thanks for the immediate help, Florian!

Mark Walter
    Participant

the sRGB tone response is available for 3D LUTs via the standalone 3D LUT maker by choosing the sRGB source profile and setting tone curve to “Apply black output offset (100%)”.

what about rendering intent? absolute colorimetric with whitepoint scaling?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

what about rendering intent? absolute colorimetric with whitepoint scaling?

Yes.

Md Faisal
    Participant

Hi, iam using decklink monitor 4k via hdmi connected to U2413. And I also use davinci resolve for color grading my work (for broadcast and web, mainly iam using sRGB), and using spyder 5pro.

I have callibrated my u2413 using sRGB mode in my monitor, and fine tune the RGB via entering u2413’s factory menu. But the result isnt the best. I got 96.9% of sRGB coverage.

Before, i callibrated my monitor using adobe rgb mode, and fine tune the rgb via factory menu. I got better result, 97.3% of sRGB. But the color is too warm, because of it isnt sRGB, it is adobeRGB.

I never use stand alone 3d lut maker,
    But if i can choose the sRGB source profile and setting tone curve to “Apply black output offset (100%)”, so i can use the adobe RGB preset on my monitor, callibrate it, and create sRGB not aRGB for my 3d lut via resolve. To achieve a better sRGB coverage.
    Is this correct?

Attachments:

Md Faisal
    Participant

Sorry for my bad engish,
    In other words..
    Can i drive the monitor in its native wide-gamut mode instead of sRGB, and callibrate it using pattern callibration workflow via resolve, and make a sRGB 3D Lut via stand alone 3d lut maker?

If i can, i know i will have better result in sRGB coverage. Because last month i acheved 99,7% sRGB, using native gamut, but at that time i was  using my vga instead of decklink

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS