Calibrate only/profile only

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrate only/profile only

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

grahamh
    Participant

Noob here.  Thanks for a brilliant piece of software!

I think I’ve got my head round most of it (I’m not a noob to colour matching/transforms etc).  But I see in the docs references to  calibrate only and profile only buttons.  I’ve never seen these in the GUI, so I have to sit through both processes every time. I don’t necessarily want to produce a profile while adjusting to get the best calibration, and once I’ve got a good calibration with a rough profiling, I want to just repeat the profile with more accuracy and with a different output format.

What am I missing?  Using 3.7.1.3 on Win10 with a Spyder5.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

calibrate only

“Calibrate only” functionality was removed a long time ago, since it’s not very useful.

I don’t necessarily want to produce a profile while adjusting to get the best calibration

You can just cancel the interactive adjustment.

grahamh
    Participant

Thanks for the response.

calibrate only

“Calibrate only” functionality was removed a long time ago, since it’s not very useful.

A pity. So that means if you are doing some what-ifs with the calibration you have to sit through several minutes of profiling.  Background: all I’m trying to do at first is get my two screens of different make and age colour-matched for everyday use.  So I have no immediate need for a profile other than a place to store the videocard LUTs.

I don’t necessarily want to produce a profile while adjusting to get the best calibration

You can just cancel the interactive adjustment.

Maybe I am missing something then and/or not explaining myself well enough.  I supposed cancelling the interactive adjustment did only that – calibration (ie measuring the EOTF of the screen, using WP as measured) and profiling would still go ahead.

And is it possible to re-run the profiling using an existing calibration? (eg to use a better quality or produce a profile file in a different format)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by grahamh.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

A pity. So that means if you are doing some what-ifs with the calibration you have to sit through several minutes of profiling.

The only thing to adjust is the whitepoint.

Maybe I am missing something then and/or not explaining myself well enough.  I supposed cancelling the interactive adjustment did only that – calibration (ie measuring the EOTF of the screen, using WP as measured) and profiling would still go ahead.

So what is it that you want? Profiling without calibration? Then set calibration tone curve to “as measured”.

And is it possible to re-run the profiling using an existing calibration? (eg to use a better quality or produce a profile file in a different format)

Yes (previous calibration has to exist, obviously).

grahamh
    Participant

So how? I only see a Calibrate and Profile button.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So how? I only see a Calibrate and Profile button.

Like I said, set calibration tone curve to “As measured”. This is mentioned in the help text directly on this tab, by the way 🙂

grahamh
    Participant

Sorry to be thick, but this is what I’ve done (after some trial and error) to get my two screens matched:

Screen 1 has no WP adjustment so calibrated it with WP as measured and Tone curve sRGB
    Adjusted screen 2 to the same WP (coords and level) as screen 1 and calibrated with Tone curve sRGB

I now have the colour temps and tone curves pretty well matched.

Next I want to produce a profile for each of them using the above calibrations but without having to sit through another hour of running the calibrations again. If I set Tone curve to ‘as measured’ it will presumably wipe the previous calibrations so then the desktop will differ again.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If you want to use the previous calibration, also disable interactive adjustment.

grahamh
    Participant

Got it working sensibly, thanks, but I’ve got to say the way these options are presented is less than intuitive.  Using ArgyllCMS on its own it’s very clear – calibrate (dispcal), measure (dispread) then profile (colprof).

The final hurdle was I couldn’t get repeatable results running profile only.  Turns out it was because I had it set to auto-detect full/limited range.  In the profiling it did with calibration it correctly detected full-range, but on repeat profiling, even with all the same settings, it was setting itself consistently to limited range.

Just thought I’d mention that in case there’s a code tweak that could fix it for consistency between running the profiling with calibration and running it alone.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Got it working sensibly, thanks, but I’ve got to say the way these options are presented is less than intuitive.

This functionality is only useful to very, very few people.

In the profiling it did with calibration it correctly detected full-range, but on repeat profiling, even with all the same settings, it was setting itself consistently to limited range.

The output levels setting is not stored (or restored) from the profile like most other settings are, so once you set it to a non-auto value, it stays that way until you change it again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS