C8 HDR CALIBRATION

Home Forums Help and Support C8 HDR CALIBRATION

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Marcelo Cosme Carlos dos Santos
    Participant

Hello Florian and everyone in the group.

I use Displaycal together with a calibrator – X-Rite i1Display Pro through Davinci Resolve on an LG C8 screen.

I uploaded my results to that shared folder and would like your opinion.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqf9KxpnaCWngtItn9EqlU71TU_ScQ?e=J2KBNy

I thought the SDR result good, but I can’t calibrate for HDR.

Could you or someone in the group help me using the 3D tab?
    I would like to through my SDR calibration and just change the options in the 3D tab and generate a new HDR LUT.

Thanks!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

If you enable/select HDR input in your display it goes through its internal LUT3D Rec2020/PQ -> display colorspace with all tone mapping tweaks and ABL contraints due to OLED limitations.

If you do not enable/select HDR input max white level is current while level (SDR even if you have P3 colorspace), no HDR.

AFAIK (1) there is no TV that can set HDR input enabled/selected (=HDR input enabled, native gamut, HDR backlight set to HDR in backlight displays or OLED light set to HDR), internal LUT3D/tonemapping/ABL = OFF, so it’s pointless to try to do what you want. Without that, you can’t profile display accurately, so you won’t have an ICC profile to use it in LUT3D maker.

If you want to consume HDR content in a OLED TV you need to trust factory HDR to display mapping with minor tweaks in gray scale though OSD configuration.
    If you want to grade HDR with an OELD TV you have the wrong display to do that, your TV is unsuitable for this task. Currently grading in HDR  implies buying expensive gear.

(1) Maybe LG or 3rd party tools with (partial) HW cal setup can tweak factory LUT3D & tonemapping & ABL further than OSD controls. Look in AVSforum for a tool to do that internally.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS