Brightness setting in pc games

Home Forums Help and Support Brightness setting in pc games

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

benjamin
    Participant

Hi Florian,

A question regarding brightness/gamma in gaming without the use of a 3dlut.

I’ve noticed that when I play pc games, sometimes they ask for the brightness to be changed prior to starting the game, using an on screen slider, this as far as I know adjusts the gamma.  Most of the time I find that I have to adjust the slider from the middle default setting, to the very lowest setting, or near it, to get it to look the way the game intended,.

I thought that most of these games would work with gamma 2.2 in mind,  where I shouldn’t have to adjust this slider, it should be spot on each time.  Is this to be expected after calibrating to 2.2?

I’m using an 8bit pc monitor, Acer predator x34a.  Bitdepth set to 8bit via loader (nvidia gaming card).

Here’s an example of what I mean, In Destiny 2,  I have to drop the slider down to number 1 from its default 4 in order to follow the on screen instructions correctly.

destiny 2 brightness

destiny 2 pic 2

destiny 2 image 3

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by benjamin.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Lockjaw333
    Participant

I have found similar oddities in games after calibration. I have an Acer XB271HU and also calibrate to gamma 2.2. In some games the gamma appears to be spot on based on in-game menus, and in others it would require adjustment based on the in-game menu instructions.

My approach has always been to not alter the in-game brightness or gamma at all. Who knows how the game is altering the gamma in the first place? I think in the case of Destiny specifically, the default setting on the brightness test is with gamma elevated a bit (lower gamma) as many displays often have poor near black performance, so the developers increased default gamma a bit and gave the option to lower it if needed.

I take measures to ensure my ICC profile (at least the 1D element) is being applied in games and just ignore any in-game gamma or brightness adjustment. There is so much variability in how games handle gamma and brightness, and also in how some games will ignore icc profiles.  I wouldn’t get too hung up on gamma and color performance in game. For Destiny, I would lower it a bit if you think it looks better, and if its not crushing any black detail while playing. For most other games, just ignore it and rely on your ICC profile.

benjamin
    Participant

I find lowering the in game brightness in most games make them much way better and less washed out, mostly down to elevated black levels in places where it should be much darker.    What you said makes sense though, and I appreciate your reply.

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS