Bright grey is cyan after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Bright grey is cyan after calibration

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

thyslo
    Participant

Hello DisplayCAL team,
    I’ve calibrated my new Dell U2715H with a Spyder 5 Express using DisplayCAL 3.3.4 and the latest ArgyllCMS 1.9.2. on Windows 10 Pro. My video card is a XFX Radeon RX 660 4GB Passive with the latest AMD drivers installed.

To my eye the display was already good factory calibrated, and it got even better after calibration. But then I used the “Lagom LCD monitor test pages” to verify it more accurate. The problem occurred on the contrast test chart which you can find here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

One field of the grey scale at the bottom isn’t displayed properly: The third from right field isn’t a bright grey as it should. On my calibrated display it is visible as a really bright cyan.

So the calibration wasn’t as successful as I first thought ‘by eye’.

Maybe I’ve done something wrong with my calibration settings:

Display & instrument
    – Mode: LCD (White LED)
    – White level drift compensation: enabled
    – Black level drift compensation: enabled
    – Correction: None
    – Output levels: Full range RGB (0-255)

Calibration
    – Interactive Display adjustment: Enabled
    – Observer: CIE 1931 2 degrees
    – Whitepoint: As measured, Reference: Daylight
    – White Level: Custom 135 cd/m^2
    – Black Level: As measured
    – Tone Curve: Gamma 2.2 – Relative
    – Ambient Light level adjustment: Disabled
    – Black Point correction: Disabled
    – Calibration speed: High

Profiling
    – Profile type: Curvese + Matrix
    – Profile quality: High
    – Testchart: Auto optimized
    – Patch sequence: Minimize display response delay

In the first step of the calibration I changed my display settings to the following:
    – Contrast: 50 (not changed)
    – Brightness: 19
    – Colortemp
    – R 100 (not changed)
    – G 100 (not changed)
    – B 99

So my question is, did I make a wrong setting in DisplayCAL? Or is it possible that re-calibrating with the same settings could give a better result?

thyslo
    Participant

So I did a re-calibration and changed the following settings:
    Display & instrument
    – Black level drift compensation: disabled

Profiling
    – Black point compression: enabled
    – Profile type: XYZ LUT + matrix
    – Testchart: Auto optimized
    – Amount of patches: 425

After that I realized some inaccuracies in the darker areas of all color bands (Using the test chart from 1st post). Then I downloaded the test chart for offline use which you can do from here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Opened the colorbands.png from the download archive with IrfanView (afaik out of the box no color management). And the colors looked fine. Opened it in Photoshop express (color management) : the colors looked fine. Drag’n dropped the colorbands.png in my Opera browser (As I read it uses color management) : the colors looked inaccurate.

I’ve attached (sadly bad quality) pictures of the situation to this message. On the Opera one you can see that e.g. on the blue band in column 4 the color is more purple than blue. On the IrfanView and Photoshop pictures this color looks fine as it should.

So I think Opera did mess something up here.

To validate the Calibration I did a verify measurement with DisplayCAL. As The Verification protocol (also attached to this message) as I read it tells that the calibration is okay and in tolerance.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS