BlackMagic UltraStudio MiniMonitor help

Home Forums Help and Support BlackMagic UltraStudio MiniMonitor help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Alex Potemkin
    Participant

Hello!
    I have the problem with calibration process understanding.
    I have the TV connected as the external viever via the BM UltraStudio MiniMonitor (BTW, this is Vizio E500-B1 model, only one info I found about it s LED – should I use “white point drift compensation” for this?)

My problem is: because the TV is not a part of the sistem and connected not to a graphic card but to the MiniMonitor via Thunderbolt, the system can’t recognize it as the second monitor. So, I can’t move the calibration window to the TV, and I can measure only my main display which is the GUI but not the TV which supposed to be calibrated.

What do I wrong there?
    Thank you for a fast response!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

currently there are two ways to profile through the MiniMonitor, one is using Resolve, the other is using the Prisma hardware 3D LUT box and pattern generator. As the Prisma would be a pretty steep investment, and Resolve Lite is free, you might want to try that first. Keep in mind that depending on the programs you use, you also need something to hold the calibration, i.e. in the form of a 3D LUT file. Many professional video processing/grading applications can apply 3D LUTs in software if no hardware solution is in place. Also see the Resolve workflow entry in the Wiki if you go that route.

BTW, this is Vizio E500-B1 model, only one info I found about it s LED – should I use “white point drift compensation” for this?

Probably not, but disable any dimming/dynamic contrast features of the TV. It should have a white LED backlight.

Alex Potemkin
    Participant

yes, I got it.
    Seems like a mistake in the WIKI “DaVinci workflow” section:

Drag the measurement window to the desired location and size.

Actually, for the external viewer calibration, this window doesn’t matter and do not used, DaVinci generating the own patterns – so the prioper instruction should be something like “the regular calibration window will appear, just ignore it and mount your calibration device on the external, connected via BlackMagic device, viewer’s display, then click “start calibration” 🙂

Sorry, I’m new with this process, so the current WiKi looks confusing.

But now couple of  more questions, please 🙂

1. With the current setup, after calobration I have very different colors in the DaVinci viewer in the GUI and at the external viever. The external viever (the TV connected via MiniMonitor) using 3DLUT, and the GUI viever works now with the sistem ICC profile generated with DisplayCal. For sure, measurements have been done at the proper devices 🙂
      So, what is a solution? Do I need to generate 3DLUT for the GUI viewer and use it instead of the sistem ICC profile? If yes, how it will work together, with the system ICC which is need for LightRoom and 3DLUT in DaVinci? Looks like it will be double-correction?
    2. White Point drift compensation. Is this option, when checking, will only increase calibratiuon time if it is not actually needed, or will it affect the profile’s quality?

thank you!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Actually, for the external viewer calibration, this window doesn’t matter

No, the size and location is mirrored by Resolve, so it does indeed matter.

So, what is a solution? Do I need to generate 3DLUT for the GUI viewer and use it instead of the sistem ICC profile?

That would be the best solution.

If yes, how it will work together, with the system ICC which is need for LightRoom and 3DLUT in DaVinci? Looks like it will be double-correction?

You generate the 3D LUT for the GUI viewer off of the existing profile for your GUI monitor and make sure that “Apply calibration (vcgt)” is unchecked on the 3D LUT tab (advanced options). Maybe you missed that part in the guide.

White Point drift compensation. Is this option, when checking, will only increase calibratiuon time if it is not actually needed, or will it affect the profile’s quality?

It’s for displays that have undefeatable dimming like Plasmas with ABL or OLED with ASBL. Without it, the display would adjust brightness depending on what is displayed, which would mess up the measurements.

Alex Potemkin
    Participant

Thank you for fast response!
    So, for DaVinci GUI I have to process just a regular calibration but also generate the 3DLUT without “Apply calibration”, then, use booth the ICC profile for the system AND generated 3DLUT in DaVinci foir viewer? And, as far as I understand, I don’t need to reset calobration curve in this sace, right?

Sorry about the newbie questions, honestly, I understand how ciolor management works for photo/printing but color management for video still unclear for me 🙁

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Alex Potemkin.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So, for DaVinci GUI I have to process just a regular calibration but also generate the 3DLUT without “Apply calibration”, then, use booth the ICC profile for the system AND generated 3DLUT in DaVinci foir viewer?

Yes. The “regular” 1D calibration embedded in the profile will make sure that at least whitepoint and grayscale are corrected system-wide when in use, the actual ICC profile will cover color managed photo/graphics applications, and the 3D LUT can be used for any 3D LUT capable (video) software.

Sorry about the newbie questions, honestly, I understand how ciolor management works for photo/printing but color management for video still unclear for me

There is little standardization in the video world for dealing with color and the only common denominator is that (usually) 3D LUTs are used to implement display calibration (as well as other color transforms).

Alex Potemkin
    Participant

Hello again!
    I have the another question.

I have to generate the 3DLIUT for the external monitor connected via DeckLink.
    I want to make it for the generic  Gamma 2.2 response curve (the generic sRGB monitor).

As far as I understand, in this case I have to change the setting “Tone curve” from “As measured” to a desired value.
    In this case, should I uncheck “Apply calibration” at the #D LUT section?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I have to generate the 3DLIUT for the external monitor connected via DeckLink.
    I want to make it for the generic Gamma 2.2 response curve (the generic sRGB monitor).

Go to the 3D LUT tab and select “Gamma 2.2” from the tone curve dropdown.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS