Black problem with XYZ LUT + Matrix profile

Home Forums General Discussion Black problem with XYZ LUT + Matrix profile

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am having a bit of a problem with my monitor calibration. I can’t seem to get good measurement reports when I use single curve + matrix + BP compensation. My delta E values are off (see attached file).

When I try to use XYZ LUT + Matrix  +  or – BP compensation, i get a passed result. My problem is when viewing pics in safari and preview, I feel that the transition of the blacks are too abrupt resulting in loss of black details. It seems that blacks are being crushed. I am not sure if this is normal, but I see visible difference when i switch to the single curve  + matrix profile where in the blacks transition much smoothly and are not “as deep black looking”.

Visibly the single curve + matrix looks better, however the measurement is not good.

Here is my gear list
    Macbook pro 2019 15 inch retina on Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB video card
    MSI PS321QR (AUO panel, wide gamut 99% argb)
    Spyder X ( using PFS Phosphor WLED, RGB LED) – I am still waiting for my x-rite being shipped from US to Philippines

What could be causing the problem? Is this solely because of the spyder X?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

What could be causing the problem? Is this solely because of the spyder X?

The problem is MacOS, their faulty color management engine and all apps that use it (like the ones you name). MacOS color management can work properly only with extremely simplified profiles (matrix, infinite contrast…).

DisplayCAL should have warned you when you changed profile type. Reset to defaults and re make profile.

Adobe Suite or other apps using their own color management engine are not affected, it’s just MacOS UI and the apps that rely on OS color management.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

I see

So am I correct that I have to choose between two imperfect options?

1. Use XYZ LUT + Matrix which is color accurate at the expense of poor visual outcome for my day to day non-color managed apps

OR

2. use single curve + matrix which is visually good for my day-to-day non-color managed activities at the expense poor color accuracy

Vincent
    Participant

You can have both, just remember to switch to XYZLUT profile before starting Photoshop (and back again after you close it).
    These 2 profiles can share same 1D LUT GPU calibration using DisplayCAL profile only (switch calibration target to native, then when profile keep current  calibration curves from your current profile, should be somewhere in doc)

Ian de Vera
    Participant

I see i see.

Yes why didn’t i think of that? hahha

Will just do this then, swithc between profiles. I can simply US the mac OS utility display option to switch between profiles

Thanks vincent 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS