Black Crush after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Black Crush after calibration

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

aboulfad
    Participant

Hello,

Monitor: 2013 iMac 27″, calibrated w DisplayCal/X-rite I1Display Pro (see report before and after below)

This particular image is showing black crush compared to the default iMac ICC profile. I’ve stumbled on this article https://argyllcms.com/doc/CrushedDisplyBlacks.html and BPC is enabled by default in DisplayCal.

PS: I have taken a video of the screenshot of the photo (default iMac profile on top, and calibrated one below)

PPS: Thank u for an amazing tool,  but this is insanely complex hobby…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

macOS Preview does not support the type of profile you have created due to bugs in macOS. Photoshop and other professional apps can use the profile. If you want to use Preview or other Apple apps, create a single curve + matrix profile (which is the default type of profile created by DisplayCAL under macOS). You can convert your existing profile by setting tone curve to anything other than “As measured” on the calibration tab (i.e. default gamma 2.2), setting testchart on the “Profiling” tab to “Auto” and moving the patch amount slider all the way to the left, then choosing “Create profile from measurement data…” in the “File” menu and selecting your existing profile.

aboulfad
    Participant

Thank you for the speedy reply. I have lost countless days trying to figure out whats wrong! I can’t claim I fully understand the reason, but that aside I will try to outline what you proposed to do.

Convert existing profile

1. Calibration->Tone Curve = Gamma 2.2
    2. Profiling -> Profile type = Curves + matrix (Mac default)
    3. Profiling->Testchart = Auto-optimized
    4. Profiling->Amount of Patches (automatically set to left after Step 3 above)
    5. File -> Create profile from measurement data

So I installed the created .icc profile, but no difference whatsover, I must have missed or misunderstood the intent of your instructions.

PS: indeed, PS or LR does not exhibit that issue. It would be nice to get something working as MacOS Preview is handy for quick previews.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by aboulfad.
    Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Profiling -> Profile type = Curves + matrix (Mac default)

No, that is not the default. The default is single curve + matrix.

aboulfad
    Participant

Interesting, I did a quick compare on the Mac “incompatible” profile and the  “friendly” one, and it seems the difference are only in the top/header section.

Just an extra step to verify I did something …

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You created the same type of profile you already had. You need to create a single curve + matrix one.

aboulfad
    Participant

oops sorry 😉 I read and re-read and I missed that key word SINGLE.

It works now, and this is black magic, voodoo stuff… I don’t know what I did, but maybe its time to start doing some more in-depth reading.

Thank you very much. I’ll update my above steps for future reference.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by aboulfad.

aboulfad
    Participant

Convert existing profile to SINGLE:

1. Calibration->Tone Curve = Gamma 2.2
    2. Profiling -> Profile type = SINGLE Curves + matrix
    3. Profiling->Testchart = Auto-optimized
    4. Profiling->Amount of Patches (automatically set to left after Step 3 above)
    5. File -> Create profile from measurement data
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS