best practices calibrating wide gamut monitor (Lenovo Y27q-20)

Home Forums Help and Support best practices calibrating wide gamut monitor (Lenovo Y27q-20)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

vexingv
    Participant

I’m new to display profiling and calibration.  I recently bought a Lenovo Legion Y27q-20 monitor (uses an LG panel, same as LG 27GL850). This monitor is listed as having 98% DCI-P3 coverage and also offers an sRGB mode via the OSD. I’m using that monitor in conjunction with two Dell U2415’s, which are supposedly factory calibrated for sRGB. I bought an Xrite i1Display Studio colorimeter to calibrate and profile. These monitors are used with both Windows 10 and Mac OS. I primarily used these monitors for general purpose and light gaming, but also do a fair amount of photo editing in Lightroom.

I was unsure as to what mode i should start calibration (either native or sRGB), but from what I gather, I should calibrate wide gamut monitors in their full gamut. Then DisplayCal will appropriately load the color profile for color managed applications. Thus, would that make the SRGB mode moot for applications that are color managed? (I guess in my case, Lightroom and Chrome, which are the applications i use most.) But for general OS usage etc, should I switch to the sRBG mode if I want colors to look “accurate”? I don’t necessarily care for saturated colors; I want “accurate” colors although I guess that term really depends on what color space is used.

Just a bit confused here since this monitor is wide gamut but also has an sRGB mode. Should I just run the monitor in sRGB all the time? Should I calibrate and profile while running in the monitor’s sRGB  mode(the monitor coincidentally in that mode does not allow any adjustments to brightness or the individual RGB channels)?

Thanks

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Just a bit confused here since this monitor is wide gamut but also has an sRGB mode. Should I just run the monitor in sRGB all the time? Should I calibrate and profile while running in the monitor’s sRGB  mode(the monitor coincidentally in that mode does not allow any adjustments to brightness or the individual RGB channels)?

Thanks

One profile for each OSD mode. For LR/PS change OSD mode to native gamut, change defauft profile in OS or diaplaycal tray, then open color managged app.

When using locked OSD modes like SRGB mode if you cannot use RGB gain controls for whitepoint let DisplayCAL manage it through GPU LUT.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS