Best Correction for New MSI Creator PS321 QR

Home Forums General Discussion Best Correction for New MSI Creator PS321 QR

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I was given the opportunity to review a monitor from MSI.

It’s a new monitor that they have just launched this august 2020.

Planning to calibrate it with Spyder 5 and displaycal. ( Yes i know that X-Rite is better but for now I have no choice but to use what i have).

What correction can I use for this monitor? If none is available can I just use White LED?

attached is the specs sheet of the monitor

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

If you want to use embebded corrections in Spyder, use widegamut LED or LCD RGB LED or something like that.
    White LED or WLED corrections without “PFS/KSF” surname means plain sRGB LED monitor. That display is not one of them, so DO NOT use that correction.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Hi thanks vincent,

Where do I find the Spyder embedded corrections?

This is all i can see on the dropdown pane.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Mode, upper right. Spyder embeded corrections appear there,

Ian de Vera
    Participant

thank you vincent

As i have had such headache with the Benq SW series monitors. I think I do not need a wide gamut monitor as I have lived my photography journey using a dell u2414h.

I just figured the SW series would be a nice upgrade. I was wrong. Had a very long and hard 2 weeks trying to get things to just even look right. My cheap dell srgb monitor on the otherhand was very straight forward, sit -> calibrate -> enjoy.

Would the benq ew3270 be a good option for photo editing. Also are corrections readily available in displaycal?

Thank you

Vincent
    Participant

EW3270U is a big VA screen with high contrast and UHD, user uniformity reports are good for its price so it is a good candidate for consuming video content or even editing SDR content up to UHD with some kind of profile or LUT3D software, like Resolve.

VAs viewing angles are worse. Instead of glow like IPS in darkest colors you have whole gama ramp shift. Use a LED VA TV as an example. Depending on panel model and viewing distance you may see it on corners or not.

Regarding backlight it uses a “limited” WLED PFS available as correction in displaycal for i1d3 colorimeters (taht CCSS with 95% coverage PANASONIC VVX in file name) and it is bundled with current i1Profiler and other closed software solutions like Lightspace.

… but you loose viewing some cyans, green and turqoises from AdobeRGB, PSO coated, eciRGBv2,etc that are printable in offset or in “fine art” (high end inkjet).

IDNK if you need them. If you do not need them at all you may get a good sRGB monitor 27″, cheap models like PD benqs (sRGB only models, not latest) or with more budget a NEC EA monitor with HW calibration. NEC HW cal software is not free, 50-100euro depending on store.
    If uniformity is good in your SW, which does not happen a lot, an i1DisplayPro with PME + verification in DisplayCAL should do the work. If it does not, do full GPU calibration with DisplayCAL. You’ll have to do the same with an EW3270 or the other MSI model.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

HI Vincent,

got my MSI monitor.

On spyder calibratrion software, it was very good. 100%SRGB 99% ARGB coverage. Visually I cannot differentiate it from my macbook 2019 pro retina calibrated with display cal with good measurement result.

However, I tried calibrating and measuring with display cal and I cannot get a good result. Is it because no proper correction is available?

I have tried spyder’s mode LCD RGB LED and LCD Generic with both bad results

Last i tried is the WLED Family PFS Phosphor correction on the drop down correction menu. Attached is the result

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Spyders are not reliable devices, hence their measurements is playing dice. The only way to make a proper comparison is a i1Displaypro or better device with a suitable correction.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Ordered a xrite i1display pro and it is on it’s way. I will probably get it in 2weeks time.

question however is that i think even the x-rite does not have a specific correction for my monitor yet right?

Vincent
    Participant

Full AdobeRGB+P3 can be low quality QLED (like benq SW200PT) or WLED PFS in HP Z24x flavor (like newer NEC PAs or newer Eizo CGs or SW240). Displaycal bundles the last one and community has the first one.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Thanks vincent, will update once i get my X-rite.

Last question, the correction you are referring for the low quality QLED is the, can i use the one that florian made for the sw2700pt? Is that the one you are referring to?

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Got a hold of this monitor and calibration results are good! I think! hehe

I think this is a good monitor to consider for those looking for a budget friendly all-arounder.

Attachments:
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS