Best calibration tool – print/design – cintiq pro 24/macbook

Home Forums Help and Support Best calibration tool – print/design – cintiq pro 24/macbook

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

kljh
    Participant

Hi there,

Completely new to calibration tools, and a lot of the language seems like gobbledegook to me so excuse my extreme ignorance!

I’ve got a Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 inch and a Macbook Pro (16 inch 2019). The colours show a marked difference and I’d like to calibrate them to look the same.

I’m a graphic designer and illustrator, frequently working for print, so would like something that works well for matching as best as possible to print (although I appreciate this is never going to be 100% perfect!).

I’ve had a quick look and am bamboozled by options but it seems to be that the X-Rite i1 Display studio and pro versions might be more industry standard for my purposes – is that right? I also saw there are different types e.g. colorimeter vs photometer or something (!?). Not sure what I might need.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable hardware calibration tool that would meet my purposes?

I’m keen to keep to a budget if possible – the i1 display studio price seemed fair to me but should I go for the pro etc – or something completely different? If it makes a big difference I would be happy to stretch to something a bit more expensive but if not then I’d prefer to stick to a budget.

Many thanks in advance 🙂

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

MW
    Participant

X-Rite i1 Display series are a no brainier. Mainly because they’re alone in supporting external spectral corrections which are necessary for correct whites.  Spectrometers are expensive and slow for display profiling, more useful for correcting home prints. They used to read whites more accurately, but the correction capabilities in the i1D practically negated the advantage, that’s why it’s the most suggested model.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by MW.

kljh
    Participant

thanks so much. Would you say it’s necessary for me to go for the X-Rite i1 Display Pro version or would the X-Rite i1 Display Studio be enough for my needs?

I’d rather avoid excessive cost but if it will future proof it or there’s a marked difference, I might consider it. Thank you!

MW
    Participant

Unless you plan to get a display with hardware calibration the studio version is just fine.

kljh
    Participant

Thank you – sorry if I am being dense here – I’m assuming from your comment that my Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 inch does not have hardware calibration (not even really sure what this means!) and so the pro is unnecessary? I’m not planning on getting any new monitors.

Just wanted to clarify, I really appreciate your help, thank you!

Vincent
    Participant

Thank you – sorry if I am being dense here – I’m assuming from your comment that my Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 inch does not have hardware calibration (not even really sure what this means!) and so the pro is unnecessary? I’m not planning on getting any new monitors.

Just wanted to clarify, I really appreciate your help, thank you!

Go to wacom website and check if internal calibration app is available for your Cintiq, IDNK.
    BEWARE, Wacom guys are tricky. They DO NOT allow i1display Pro for their HW cal app… only their OWN i1displaypro labeled WACOM. Device is the same.. THE SAME, but it uses a different unlock code to ensure you buy theirs. At the same time that wacom i1d3 may ot work with i1Profier or other HW cal vendor software.

Google “Wacom EODIS3-DCWA”… yes… it is insulting to us to have those marketing practices

ArgyllCMS/DisplayCAL support i1display studio, i1displaypro and WACOM’s i1displaypro.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS