Best calibration approach?

Home Forums Help and Support Best calibration approach?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Storm Engineer
    Participant

Hi!

Last time I profiled I aimed for best white point match in the interactive adjustment stage. However, matching white against my target 6500K (looks good under my light conditions) causes a strong blue tint in overall grays and colors, especially in the dark values. If I understand right there is not much use to match target white initially unless I’m trying to match another screen, right?

In some cases I have to use the screen with correction disabled/not loaded (eg. some games in full screen mode, using Linux terminal, etc.) where the blue tinting is very annoying.

So when I recalibrate/profile soon, can/should I just try to achieve “looks good to my eye” colors in that stage, so even when correction is disabled I get comfortable colors, while this means my initial white point will be way off target?

Thanks in advance!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

so if I understood correctly, your calibrated 6500K white is far from the monitor’s native white, which you’d rather use under some circumstances. And you don’t have an immediate need to match other displays or (room) illumination. In that case, you can use whitepoint “As measured” and adjust as desired.

Storm Engineer
    Participant

My question is about the interactive adjustment stage.

In my first case I adjusted the monitor physically until the white balance measurement was perfectly on target on all three channels – but this resulted in colors having a very strong blue cast without profiling. After profiling the ICC profile removed this cast but my issue is that I have to use the monitor in situations where the ICC profile cannot be enabled.

Now in the second case I aimed to achieve good looking colors via the initial adjustment, even if that meant my blue channel was way off target. Thus when the ICC profile cannot be used my colors are only slightly off visually, rather than having a strong blue cast.

So my question is, which of the two will result in better color management when the ICC is used? Does settling for an off-target physical blue in the interactive state decrease quality of the resulting 1D LUT and/or ICC profile?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS