BenQ SW321 calibration w/PME & DisplayCal

Home Forums Help and Support BenQ SW321 calibration w/PME & DisplayCal

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jonathan Furmanski
    Participant

Hello Everyone –

I’m new to DisplayCal and am very impressed with it so far, but I have a question about some of the results I’ve been getting:

When I use BenQ’s Palette Master Element app alone, I get some good-not-great results—e.g., an average DeltaE of ~1.5 with maximum errors between 3.5-4. I then tried using DisplayCal alone—going into a custom calibration slot, so not a hardware calibration—and got similar results.

Then I tried calibrating with DisplayCal on top of the PME calibration, meaning I did a hardware calibration with PME and then used DisplayCal to create a software calibration file based on the PME calibration, and the results were great—average DeltaE of around .9 and a maximum around 1.5.

My question is, since I don’t fully understand everything happening under the hood, is this a reasonable way to calibrate (an icc file on top of a hardware calibration)? I certainly prefer a calibration that’s fully hardware-based but better results are better results.

I’m using this with my MacBook Pro and an i1 Display OEM colorimeter. And I should mention I just saw the Eizo CS2740 and may upgrade to that, if units ever become available again in the US.

Thank you for any insight or advice!

Vincent
    Participant

Hello Everyone –

I’m new to DisplayCal and am very impressed with it so far, but I have a question about some of the results I’ve been getting:

When I use BenQ’s Palette Master Element app alone, I get some good-not-great results—e.g., an average DeltaE of ~1.5 with maximum errors between 3.5-4. I then tried using DisplayCal alone—going into a custom calibration slot, so not a hardware calibration—and got similar results.

Then I tried calibrating with DisplayCal on top of the PME calibration, meaning I did a hardware calibration with PME and then used DisplayCal to create a software calibration file based on the PME calibration, and the results were great—average DeltaE of around .9 and a maximum around 1.5.

My question is, since I don’t fully understand everything happening under the hood, is this a reasonable way to calibrate (an icc file on top of a hardware calibration)? I certainly prefer a calibration that’s fully hardware-based but better results are better results.

We do not have the details. One possible situation of the many that may show those symphoms will be:

-PME fails to get desired white (actuall PME reads wrong the white fro ALL SW displays because of wrong spectral correction), but “relative to that whitepoint” gamut & colospace volume is OK. Recalibration on top of HW cal fixes WP ang you get all green on validation.
    -In Custom not HW cal you may be using a simple matrix profile that is not able to describe some non linearities in colospace volume that cannpt be corrected just with a GPU 1D lut

But this is a guess since you do not show data.

I’m using this with my MacBook Pro and an i1 Display OEM colorimeter. And I should mention I just saw the Eizo CS2740 and may upgrade to that, if units ever become available again in the US.

Thank you for any insight or advice!

Better uniformity, better HW and a HW calibration software (ColorNavigation) that actually works.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS