BenQ SW270C + ColorMunki Photo

Home Forums General Discussion BenQ SW270C + ColorMunki Photo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Promix
    Participant

Last night I tried my hand at the first profiling of the monitor in question with DisplayCAL v.3.8.9.3.
    I have tried to follow some guides to set the values in DisplayCAL to not make mistakes and to profile it optimally.
    The end result gave me 97.5% AdobeRGB.
    I ask:
    1- is it a good result or can I get a better one?
    2- what are the fundamental data to be set in order to have a good profile?
    3- is there anyone else who has the same monitor as me?

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

The SW270C is a hardware-calibrated display.

To get the most out of it, you shoud get a Calibrate Color Chcecher Pro or Plus (formerly X-Rite i1 Display Pro and Pro Plus) and calibrate it using BenQ’s Palette Master Element,

Unfortunately, X-Rite’s/Calibrite’s cheaper (non-Pro)  colorimeters don’t support hardware calibration due to an API lock.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Promix
    Participant

L’SW270C è un display calibrato hardware.

Per ottenere il massimo da esso, dovresti ottenere un Calibrate Color Chcecher Pro o Plus (precedentemente X-Rite i1 Display Pro e Pro Plus) e calibrarlo utilizzando Palette Master Element di BenQ,

Sfortunatamente, i colorimetri più economici (non Pro) di X-Rite/Calibrite non supportano la calibrazione hardware a causa di un blocco API.

So you tell me it’s better to hardware recalibrate it via Palette Master (albeit much simpler than DC)?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Promix.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Promix.

Vincent
    Participant

Last night I tried my hand at the first profiling of the monitor in question with DisplayCAL v.3.8.9.3.
    I have tried to follow some guides to set the values in DisplayCAL to not make mistakes and to profile it optimally.
    The end result gave me 97.5% AdobeRGB.
    I ask:
    1- is it a good result or can I get a better one?

You are focusing on irrelevant data (AdobeRGB coverage). Check grey range and contrast at your desired white and if with a simple profile (matrix) you can predict display behavior or if you’ll neeed a more detailed profile.

Prad.de reports an extremely poor contrast for an IPS, like if they use verlow quality panels that had to be uniformity corrected, hence the loss of contrast

Maybe you were lukcier but Benq SW line is statistically a series of bad quality monitors that I would avoid.

2- what are the fundamental data to be set in order to have a good profile?

Explained above but as a general recipe:
    1 Profile matches display
    2 neutral grey (by calibration), no a*b* deviation in greys
    3 “simple” if that display can be modeled that way, to prevent some rounding error in color managed apps

Paletter Master Element can use HW calibration BUT you have a 10nm spectro (under Xrite driver), if munki photo is supported (IDNK).
    If SW270C has a WLED PFS backlight you won’t be able to measure it properly, although DisplayCAL via 3nm high res driver from Argyll can improve that measure (but that device is not very good with that backlight).
    If you create a CCSS at 3nm (high res) in DisplayCAl with your munki photo, you’ll see if it is a WLED PFS: a distinctive narrow double spike in red wavelegths (+ blu + green spikes). 3 isolated peaks if it were a QLED. 3 peaks with a very broad red peak if it was a GBLED.

Also if your display had a bad grey response when uncalibrated, Benq’s PME may not be able to fix it due to low number of grey measurements (10? 20? per channel) while DisplayCAL in slow setting (not recomened with your slow spectro) can fix almost everything (up tp 96/266 grey measurements to compute grey calibration).
    DisplayCAL report validating HW calibratiomn profile from PME will show those issues, if present.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

My bad.

I just realized your ColorMunki is a spectrophotometer, not a colorimeter.

In this case just ignore my previous post.

Sorry for misleading you.

Promix
    Participant

Inoltre, se il display ha una cattiva risposta ai grigi quando non è calibrato, il PME di Benq potrebbe non essere in grado di risolverlo a causa del basso numero di misurazioni dei grigi (10? 20? per canale) mentre DisplayCAL in modalità lenta (non consigliato con lo spettro lento) può aggiustare quasi tutto (fino alle misurazioni del grigio tp 96/266 per calcolare la calibrazione del grigio).

Il rapporto DisplayCAL che convalida il profilo di calibrazione HW da PME mostrerà questi problemi, se presenti.

Tomorrow I will upload some images so you can tell me if the profiling is ok. Thank you

Promix
    Participant

From the final report (carried out three profilings) a DeltaE 00 lower than 2 (average and max) emerges. The AdobeRGB color space reaches about 92% (Volume). Why so low?

Vincent
    Participant

No data, no support.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

No data, no support.

100% of truth. There’s nothing to analyze.

Promix, you have to attach test report and the profile you’ve got to your message. Your words don’t have clear sense and don’t contain enough data.

Promix
    Participant

This is the report of DisplayCAL.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Promix
    Participant

This is the gamut from DisplayCAL.

Notice the error on the blue-green side (left)

Attachments:

Promix
    Participant

This is the gamut from Palette Master (over 99%).

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Full report, please.

For DisplayCAL profile it seems that you crippled colorspace to P3. It’s user error.

Promix
    Participant

Full report, please.

For DisplayCAL profile it seems that you crippled colorspace to P3. It’s user error.

Can you explain me better?

Vincent
    Participant

Full report, please.

Screenshot does not show a lot things like “qualitative” (bars/semaphore colors) grey balance, etc.

Can you explain me better?

You selected some preset configuration in your SW270C limited to P3 when you made Displaycal profile.

Displaycal only calibrates grey and assist you to correct whitepoint and/or brightness. Colorspace simulations, like P3 in your example, it is user’s fault (or choice if it was intentional)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS