BenQ PV270 + Davinci Resolve Studio

Home Forums Help and Support BenQ PV270 + Davinci Resolve Studio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

SynchroFilms
    Participant

I’m having issues with my renders not looking close enough to what I’m color grading too on my external monitor. I have a BenQ PV270 with a Blackmagic Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. I am using this on an iMac i7.

I’m calibrating my monitor with using the i1 Display Pro using the default Resolve settings in DisplayCal. I created the lut and used that lut inside of Resolve as outlined in the Wiki instructions. But, It’s not getting me there, something is off.

What are the best settings you recommend?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

which application(s) are you using to view rendered footage? Note that (e.g.) QuickTime player will never look correct because it enforces a gamma of around 1.9.

You can verify that your preview in Resolve is correct by using DisplayCAL’s verification feature.

SynchroFilms
    Participant

Hello! Thank for the reply.

I’m using Quicktime, VLC, Vimeo and Wistia for comparison. Yes, I do know of the weird Quicktime Gamma thing. But I was more concerned of how it looked online since that’s where 90% of my content is going for clients.

Okay, I’ll investigate the verification feature, didn’t know about that.

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by SynchroFilms.

SynchroFilms
    Participant

I’m still having issues of renders not matching up even after recalibrating and verifying. On the verification, the numbers were good with all green.

The issue is not being able to render out what I’m seeing on my color grading monitor. Even when checking with VLC, Quicktime (I know about the gamma bug), Vimeo, and Wistia.

In Resolve, I haven’t made any tweaks to the settings other than the ones suggested in the wiki: I removed any luts on the scopes and used the lut DisplayCal produced.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Nick

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Even when checking with VLC, Quicktime (I know about the gamma bug), Vimeo, and Wistia.

QuickTime is color managed, so while too bright due to Apple’s choice of decoding gamma, at least there will be no over-saturation on wide-gamut monitors, but VLC for example is not, and there is no guarantee that video in a browser is either. This means Rec. 709 footage will look over-saturated on wide-gamut monitors like newer iMacs and MacBooks (native P3-like gamut) in non-color-managed video players. The preview you have in Resolve via the calibrated external monitor is the only accurate view you can count on. Users with typical standard gamut displays (which are still the norm unless you use an iMac or MacBook) will see something quite similar to that.

SynchroFilms
    Participant

Okay, fair enough. So the best thing to do is calibrate as best as I can, verify that the lut is correct, it sounds like.

So, if it looks good on my grading monitor, that the best thing to trust so it generally looks good on most computers out in the world?

Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So the best thing to do is calibrate as best as I can, verify that the lut is correct, it sounds like.

Yes. Anything else (e.g. on the client side) is outside your control.

SynchroFilms
    Participant

So, just tried calibrating and verification. Something seems very off. Any ideas on what may be going on?

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Make sure the minimum display update delay under “Display & instrument” (advanced option) is set to 1000ms or higher for Resolve, and that you uncheck “Release video I/O hardware when not in focus” under Resolve preferences -> Video and Audio I/O.

SynchroFilms
    Participant

Okay, it came out a lot better. But there is a big deviation in the Target White Point. Should I be worried about that, or is there something I can do to fix that?

Thanks

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Not necessarily a problem. What target whitepoint did you use?

Charles Silverman
    Participant

Hello… I’m using the exact  same equipment ( with the exception of an iMac Pro) and having a similar results.  After calibrating countless times, my LUT is making the image very washed out. When I use a correction node to bring it back… the rendered footage looks oversaturated and overly dense in the HD-709 monitor profile.

I feel like there something I must be missing… if everywhere outside Resolve my image looks poor.

Any further ideas?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

After calibrating countless times, my LUT is making the image very washed out.

Is the black level raised (i.e. gray instead of black)? Then the output range or 3D LUT encoding is not correct (needs to be 0-255 in DisplayCAL). Is near-black lifted due to poor LCD black level and using BT.1886 for the 3D LUT? Then you should switch to a 100% output offset “gamma” tone curve instead (e.g. gamma 2.2 or 2.4) and recreate the 3D LUT.

Charles Silverman
    Participant

Thank you for responding… I (think) I did as you instructed… and its did seem to leave the blacks where they were…   attached are the calibration screens. Is this right?
    I started with calibrating my 3D Colorviewer
    Thank you!!!

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If you do not have a dedicated grading monitor, choose your actual display on the display & instrument tab. See the guide in the Wiki.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS