BenQ PV270 as external monitor for DaVinci Resolve

Home Forums Help and Support BenQ PV270 as external monitor for DaVinci Resolve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Fryderyk
    Participant

Hi, everybody,

I’m trying to calibrate BenQ PV270 for DaVinci Resolve.

This monitor is fed by DeckLink mini monitor card. But at first I wanted to calibrate the monitor to native gamut with Palette Master. To do this, I connected the monitor to GPU through HDMI. I performed the calibration in PM (with maximal amount of patches) and installed the profile in the monitor.

Then I connected the monitor back to DeckLink card and made the calibration for DaVinci Resolve in DisplayCAL. Unfortunately the initial “display adjustment” check (white pointo/white level) is bad every time. In this case +/- 1% agrees with the white level, but R and B channels (which are roughly equal) are much lower than G.

Is this normal? What should I do?

Greetings, Fryderyk

Fryderyk
    Participant

Few additional questions:

1. Is the use of uniformity function a good idea?

2. My „HDMI PC range” in monitor settings is greyed out and I can’t make any changes. How do I know that DeckLink card is sending the right signal to the monitor? I also can’t change that setting on macOS while the calibration in Palette Master…

3. What type of backlight does the PV270 have?

Vincent
    Participant

This monitor is fed by DeckLink mini monitor card. But at first I wanted to calibrate the monitor to native gamut with Palette Master. To do this, I connected the monitor to GPU through HDMI. I performed the calibration in PM (with maximal amount of patches) and installed the profile in the monitor.

Patches in these vendor tools ar usually linked to “Profiling patches” (after calibration) not actual calibration patches. DisplayCAL allows to vary calibration patches by “calibration speed” slider, but Displaycal calibration is limited to greyscale calibration.

Then I connected the monitor back to DeckLink card and made the calibration for DaVinci Resolve in DisplayCAL. Unfortunately the initial “display adjustment” check (white pointo/white level) is bad every time. In this case +/- 1% agrees with the white level, but R and B channels (which are roughly equal) are much lower than G.

Is this normal? What should I do?

That means that (not exclusive):
    -Palette Master is using a different colorimeter correction than the one you chose in DisplayCAL
    -than even using the same correction, Palette master is not working properly… it does not actually achieve desired white if you trust coolorimeter corrected measurements.

DisplayCAL  can correct white if you wish to.

Few additional questions:

1. Is the use of uniformity function a good idea?

It limits even destroys contrast. The worse uniformity is the more UC function needs to push correction (factory fixed) . Test with displaycal uniformity report and UC=off. If it is bad and you do not plan to get a realiable display with good uniformity out of the box (not benq nor dell nor asus…), then test UC=on and check contrast.

2. My „HDMI PC range” in monitor settings is greyed out and I can’t make any changes. How do I know that DeckLink card is sending the right signal to the monitor? I also can’t change that setting on macOS while the calibration in Palette Master…

IDNK

3. What type of backlight does the PV270 have?

DisplayCAL colorimeter correction shows a QLED spectral power distribution (SPD) which is unsupported by ALL benq software and all software related to xrite EDRs. It’s like SW2700PT, but with a LUT3D and a  expected better uniformity out of the box with UC=off.
    This’s a hint why you can see white is off (even visually) if you are uisng the proper correction in DisplayCAL:

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/hash/d53c1e860d73b3db117175a5fb23bc09/BenQ%20PV270%20%28i1%20Pro%29.ccss

(Beware other CCSS for PV270, some of them are SPDs not measured at native gamut but sRGB/AdobeRGB gamut emulation. CCSS should be made at native gamut, but some users do not know it and upload them to community)

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by Vincent.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS