BenQ EW3270U – SpyderX, cant get calibration

Home Forums Help and Support BenQ EW3270U – SpyderX, cant get calibration

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

JanisK
    Participant

Dear Displaycal users,

I bought SpyderX for my web designer to calibrate his BenQ EW3270U connected to Macbook Pro with USB-C cable running at 4k@60hz.

I have tried much different options, from changing gammas, backlit options from general to wled and the rest. At first i tried to do all as specified but result is off a lot and delta is always above 2.8 with some colors being totally off.

So i tried to delete all profiles from OSX settings so it reverts to srgb default. Then did color check and got the report below (Default SRGB xxxx). Then did another calibration with phosphorus and default settings and got the other report (Calibrated xxx)

I have also tried to calibrate with lot of different, almost all imaginable configurations and result is very similar. If i go from Phosphorus to generic f.e. the green color is much off in setting white point comparing to wled/phosphorus but it doesn’t change overall how in-precise display is after calibration.

Maybe someone can chime if you have a moment. If i do just some settings wrong, maybe its the display itself or the usb-c connection. I spent good 2 days trying all kinds of combinations and its driving me nuts. Especially that SpyderX goes so far it does the verification report and sees inaccuracies, so how come it cant calibrate at least to some extent i dont understand.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Maybe someone can chime if you have a moment. If i do just some settings wrong, maybe its the display itself or the usb-c connection. I spent good 2 days trying all kinds of combinations and its driving me nuts.

It is not an sRGB display but a 9x% P3 display. You are tring to validate if display without any GPU calibration matches sRGB. It can’t.

If you are trying to verify if factory sRGB preset is accurate you must set OSD to sRGB preset. A lot of mac users may not know that display have OSD settings…

if you are trying to verify if your P3 display can show sRGB colors accurately with default native gamut factory calibration using Photoshop or Safari you must set first as default display profile in macOS the vendor ICC, or same vendor ICC generated by DisplayCAL from EDID data, or a custom calibration ICC. Then when verifiying simulation profile sRGB and “use simulation profile as display profile” NOT CHECKED.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.

JanisK
    Participant

Im actually not knowledgeable in this segment. Im a hardware engineer but never been in touch with color calibrations at all. But want to understand at least as much to calibrate correctly to an extent.

SO what profile should i use to check the “default” way that will confirm if calibration was done correctly to an extent that SpyderX without correction (from what i understand it cant have corrections like xrite products) can do?

Vincent
    Participant

SpyderX should be set to PFS mode, as you did.

Factory calibration

-some OSD with native gamut:
    Set as default display profile in macOS the vendor ICC, or same vendor ICC generated by DisplayCAL from EDID data.
    Then verify without any simulation profile all unchecked

-sRGB preset:
    Set as default display profile in macOS sRGB ICC.
    Set current display OSD to sRGB.
    Then verify without any simulation profile all unchecked (although you can use simulate sRGB an use simulation profile as default profile)

Custom calibration

Set as default display profile in macOS the ICC crated by displaycal.
    Display must be set to OSD and settimng used to calibrate it by you
    Then verify without any simulation profile all unchecked

JanisK
    Participant

Vincent, thanks for the help. You helped tremendously!

What worked is that i switched OSX calibration to P3 and then did calibration. I finished with Avg Delta of 0.5. Unbelievable. Yes SpiderX may not be the benchmark but the display now looks like something you can use.

I chose this display for our designer after almost a week of research. There is not much displays at that low price range, 27-32 inch that can replicate these results, at least from my research.

One question i have is why a particular color this case green deviates more than else noticeably? Can it be remedied?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

It’s OK.

One question i have is why a particular color this case green deviates more than else noticeably? Can it be remedied?

Not in macOS since you are forced to use simple matrix profile. Not an issue, it’s very good fro a matrix profile. Gray may be improved a little by choosing medium or slow speed, but skip that if you want.

That validation of your custom calibration validates that display and your custom ICC profile match. That’s all.

If your designer needs to use PSO/ISO coated palette there are colors that this display cannot show since it’s 9x% P3 multimedia display not AdobeRGB+P3. There are cyans that cannot be shown. but the volume not covered will be small, cyan mosty.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS