Benq 270c which calibration

Home Forums General Discussion Benq 270c which calibration

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

nocentis
    Participant

Hey guys wanted to ask  if anyone knows which is better to do, hardware calibration with pallete master or software calibration with display cal, thanks in advance.

Vincent
    Participant

Return for refund that display, get an Eizo CS2731 for 200€ more. It is not a sensible buy.

Now answering your question:
    -PME can minimize banding issues since it does not depend on underlying GPU (because some of them causes banding like in laptops), but PME cannot correct grey at the same level of accuracy as DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS because PME takes much less nuber of measurements.
    If in uncalibrated CALx preset your low cost widegamut has severe issues in grey ramp PME may not be able to correct them.
    -If you own an xrite spectro using PME cannot measure properly some backlights like those WLED PFS with narrow peaks in spectral distribution. ArgyllCMS can measure it better
    -If you use an i1Displaypro, PME has no proper correction for any of the monitors in SW line, so some error in white point will be present. This error is colorimeter (actual unit in your home) dependent.
    -If you use Spyders accuracy is not guaranteed at all.

So if you do not want one of the sensible alternatives (return that toy a get a real monitor):
    -use PME
    -check grey errors visually with a smooth grey gradient in MS Paint. Such errors do not depend on PME but on uncalibrated grey ramp because PME cannot correct all if uncalibrated response was bad.
    -check whitepoint with DisplayCAL using proper spectral correction for i1Displaypro colorimeters or 3.3nm mode with Xrite spectros and check it visually too.
    -check gray a*b* range with DisplayCAL. It is in the same measurement report as white.

Whitepoint/grey/range errors => use DisplayCAL to correct PME results. You can do on top of HW calibration. You can do it using OSD user/custom mode to access RGB gains.
    If you use a laptop solution may be worse than error itself, because of calibration induced banding. Check visually grey ramp on MS paint again with your new DisplayCAL calibration. It may look worse because of this GPU HW limitation in some GPU models. If that happens choose the lesser evil for you.

No Whitepoint/grey/range errors => you dodged the bullet, enjoy that low contrast display. Also buy lottery now!

Do not worry about profile whitepoint vs measured whitepoint errors in measurement report, it’s a PME issue when using ICCv2. Photoshop or LR or CaptureOne won’t care about it, won’t be affected.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

nocentis
    Participant

Thanks for you detailed answer ,that bad eh? It looked to me bad for other reasons  but without knowing much i think i got decent results in displaycal validation.

Vincent
    Participant

If looking for a correction for i1d3 it looks like a WLED PFS backlight variant with “leaks” in red channel like older UP2516D/UP2716D
    https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/?get&type=ccss&manufacturer_id=BNQ&display=BenQ%20SW270C&instrument=i1%20DisplayPro%2C%20ColorMunki%20Display%2C%20Spyder4&html=1

BTW all of these corrections seem to be wrong (emulated gamuts) with the exception of the 1st one:
    https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/hash/99dac11d0db62f086cbbadd6a2d4dafd/BenQ%20SW270C%20%28ColorMunki%29.ccss
    So it will be my choice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS