Basic questions for usage with i1Display Pro

Home Forums Help and Support Basic questions for usage with i1Display Pro

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

cremor
    Participant

Hi,

I recently bought an i1Display Pro and have a few basic usage questions.

1. Which driver is recommended? The one from X-Rite, ArgyllCMS or “none” (I noticed that it “just works” on Windows 10 without additional drivers)? Or is there no difference between the drivers?
    2. Is there a difference between the corrections downloaded from https://displaycal.net/i1d3.cab and the ones that can be imported from an installed i1Profiler software?
    3. Is there a way to hide the DisplayCAL Profile Loader tray icon?
    4. I noticed that measurements always start fast and get slower the further the progress bar is. E.g. the first half of the progress bar only takes around 10% of the whole measurement time. Is this normal?

I also noticed something that might be a bug or isn’t explained very good:
    Although I can import the corrections from the installed i1Profiler software, importing them from the setup doesn’t work. I’ve tried both the setup on the installation CD and the latest one that can be downloaded, neither worked.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There is no X-Rite driver for the i1D3 line of instruments, they use the standard Windows HID (Human Interface Device) ones, just like ArgyllCMS does (but with the latter you have the option to use libusb instead, although it is not needed).

Is there a difference between the corrections downloaded from https://displaycal.net/i1d3.cab and the ones that can be imported from an installed i1Profiler software?

Currently, no. In the not too distant future, it is likely that the downloaded ones will contain more corrections for different display types, so using those is  recommended.

Is there a way to hide the DisplayCAL Profile Loader tray icon?

Yes, Windows has that functionality built into the OS.

I noticed that measurements always start fast and get slower the further the progress bar is

It is not related to progress bar position, but luminance of the displayed patches. Darker patches take longer to measure. As the calibration process goes from light to dark, this naturally means it spends more time further into the process. Profiling is unaffected by this, as the patch order is different. The overall time is always the same though, irrespective of the ordering of the patches.

Although I can import the corrections from the installed i1Profiler software, importing them from the setup doesn’t work. I’ve tried both the setup on the installation CD and the latest one that can be downloaded, neither worked.

Working fine for me (i1ProfilerSetup.exe, v1.8.2). What was the error message?

cremor
    Participant

There is no X-Rite driver for the i1D3 line of instruments, they use the standard Windows HID (Human Interface Device) ones, just like ArgyllCMS does (but with the latter you have the option to use libusb instead, although it is not needed).

Ok, good to know. I just assumed X-Rite has their own drivers because the manual said that you should install the software before plugging in the device. But I guess they just reused that from other devices.

Currently, no. In the not too distant future, it is likely that the downloaded ones will contain more corrections for different display types, so using those is  recommended.

I did some own checks in the meantime (couldn’t edit my post while it was in moderation queue, sorry). I found that the downloaded files are the same as the one in the i1Profiler installation directory except for one file that is missing in the download: OLEDFamily_28Aug18.edr. It’s shown as “Spectral: LED OLED (Sony PVM_2541 & Samsung Galaxy S7 & LEN4140)” in DisplayCAL. Maybe you could update the downloadable corrections to include this new file?

Yes, Windows has that functionality built into the OS.

I was afraid you’d say that 😉 I’m a guy that likes to keep the tray extremely tidy, so I don’t even have the Windows arrow icon shown that appears when you hide icons. But ok, no big deal.

It is not related to progress bar position, but luminance of the displayed patches. Darker patches take longer to measure. As the calibration process goes from light to dark, this naturally means it spends more time further into the process. Profiling is unaffected by this, as the patch order is different. The overall time is always the same though, irrespective of the ordering of the patches.

Thanks for the explanation.

Working fine for me (i1ProfilerSetup.exe, v1.8.2). What was the error message?

I also tried it with i1ProfilerSetup.exe version 1.8.2, downloaded from https://www.xrite.com/service-support/downloads/i/i1profiler-i1publish_v1_8_2
    The error message is “No colorimeter corrections could be imported.”
    The log isn’t very helpful either:

21:39:21,296 ——————————————————————————–
    21:39:21,296 Working directory:
    21:39:21,296 C:\
    21:39:21,296 Downloads\
    21:39:21,296
    21:39:21,312 Command line:
    21:39:21,312 C:\Users\cremor\Downloads\Argyll_V2.0.1\bin\oeminst.exe
    21:39:21,312 -v
    21:39:21,312 i1ProfilerSetup.exe
    21:39:21,312
    21:39:23,157 Loading file ‘i1ProfilerSetup.exe’..

There is no additional log line after “Loading file”.

I also have a new question:

I did my first calibration and profile run with “Office & Web” settings. A verification says that the result is very good, but I’m having banding problems, both in color and in grey. The banding goes away if I choose the “reset video card gamma” option in the DisplayCAL Profile Loader. How could I fix this? Maybe a higher amount of patches for the profile?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I found that the downloaded files are the same as the one in the i1Profiler installation directory except for one file that is missing in the download: OLEDFamily_28Aug18.e dr. It’s shown as “Spectral: LED OLED (Sony PVM_2541 & Samsung Galaxy S7 & LEN4140)” in DisplayCAL. Maybe you could update the downloadable corrections to include this new file?

Will do, thanks.

How could I fix this?

No fix. Limited bitdepth in the graphics card can only be “fixed” by getting a better graphics card (nVidia is notorious for banding because the driver doesn’t apply dithering under Windows, which is very annoying because the hardware itself would probably support it, AMD is better in that regard). Using the native whitepoint of your display can alleviate some of this.

cremor
    Participant

I’m already calibrating the whitepoint by manually changing the monitor settings (getting to 0.3 dE). Or do you mean something different by “native whitepoint”?

A few new questions concerning the manual calibration part:

1. Is it possible to optimize the last shown value in the interactive monitor settings dialog? (Is this the black point? The one where the 3 color circles overlap in a black center.) Even if brightness and whitepoint have a green check, this value is always around 3 dE for me. Or does this not matter/is 3 dE good enough?
    2. Is it important if the uncalibrated gamma is near the target gamma? E.g. I want to calibrate to 2.2 and with the monitor settings I can reach uncalibrated 2.1 or 2.3. Which is better – or does it even matter?
    3. Is there a way to manually calibrate the contrast setting of a monitor? I’m asking because my new IPS monitor has a far worse contrast than my years old TN monitor (600:1 vs. 1100:1 when both are at 110 cd/m2 brightness). And according to the spec sheet the new one should also be able to reach 1000:1

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The one where the 3 color circles overlap in a black center.) Even if brightness and whitepoint have a green check, this value is always around 3 dE for me. Or does this not matter/is 3 dE good enough?

Ignore that for an LCD monitor (you should only see that option with a Plasma or CRT display – which correction are you using?)

Is it important if the uncalibrated gamma is near the target gamma?

There may be less chance of videoLUT-introduced banding if the native display response is already close to the calibrated response, but that’s the only effect it’ll have.

Is there a way to manually calibrate the contrast setting of a monitor?

For LCD monitors, not really. The contrast is fixed.

according to the spec sheet the new one should also be able to reach 1000:1

Lies, damned lies and spec sheets 🙂 Seriously though, take manufacturer’s claims with a big grain of salt.

cremor
    Participant

Ignore that for an LCD monitor (you should only see that option with a Plasma or CRT display – which correction are you using?)

I’m using mode “LCD (generic)” and correction “Spectral: LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC LG Samsung)”.

For LCD monitors, not really. The contrast is fixed.

So the “contrast” setting in the monitor OSD doesn’t do anything useful for calibration or “actual” contrast?

Lies, damned lies and spec sheets ? Seriously though, take manufacturer’s claims with a big grain of salt.

Ok, I agree with that, but there are reviews of my monitor where the reviewer reached between 850:1 and 1100:1 contrast, depending on the reviewer and his settings. That’s why I’d like to know why mine is so low.
    I just found something in one of those reviews: “The lowest contrast recorded was using the ‘User’ setting (690:1), which as explained in the calibration table was due to it using ’50’ for each channel rather than the neutral ‘65’.” (Source) I always thought the absolute values of the R, G and B settings on the monitor don’t matter but only their relative distance to each other? Maybe that’s wrong. I’ll try that as soon as I get home.

Back to the banding problem again: What do I have to disable in DisplayCAL for calibration and profiling so that no video card gamma correction is set? Only the gamma target?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m using mode “LCD (generic)” and correction “Spectral: LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC LG Samsung)”.

Hmm. Then I’m not sure why the black point item is even shown during interactive adjustment, that’s only meant to be available for “refresh”-type displays. Or are you talking about the overview (“i” Symbol)?

So the “contrast” setting in the monitor OSD doesn’t do anything useful for calibration or “actual” contrast?

It depends on how it is wired in the monitor, but generally, no (different story on TVs). It is possible to clip or compress the signal using this control if set incorrectly, which is why it is recommended to leave at (factory) default.

I always thought the absolute values of the R, G and B settings on the monitor don’t matter but only their relative distance to each other?

Depends on the monitor in question. It can certainly happen that if there’s a lot of “headroom” for RGB gains that when set unfavorably, max brightness (and as a result also contrast) will suffer.

What do I have to disable in DisplayCAL for calibration and profiling so that no video card gamma correction is set? Only the gamma target?

You can’t, you have to disable calibration completely (you can still use interactive adjustment) if you want to keep a linear videoLUT (set tone curve to “As measured”). In turn, only color managed applications will show correct gray balance (if your monitor doesn’t happen to be well balanced without calibration to begin with).

cremor
    Participant

Hmm. Then I’m not sure why the black point item is even shown during interactive adjustment, that’s only meant to be available for “refresh”-type displays. Or are you talking about the overview (“i” Symbol)?

Yes, I’m talking about the overview (“i” symbol). It’s only visible on this page, not on the actual interactive calibration page.

Depends on the monitor in question. It can certainly happen that if there’s a lot of “headroom” for RGB gains that when set unfavorably, max brightness (and as a result also contrast) will suffer.

Wow, I’m so happy that I found that review. I could indeed push my contrast from 600:1 to 1100:1 just by adjusting the R, G and B values from around 50 to around 65 (in both cases I had it manually calibrated to 110 cd/m2 and D65). So now my monitor even reaches a higher contrast ratio than specified in the spec sheet 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS