Banding, black crush and blue shadows on macOS 10.13.6

Home Forums Help and Support Banding, black crush and blue shadows on macOS 10.13.6

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

maillot
    Participant

Hello.

I am using DisplayCAL 3.7.1.3 with i1 Display Pro on a 15in MacBook Pro 2017 and macOS 10.13.6. The problem I am describing is seen with Intel graphics and discrete graphics also. When I updated from 10.13.2 to 10.13.6 I saw this problem for the first time, before there was no problem at all.

NOTE: The problem is seen with Intel and discrete graphics both, but the pattern of the problem changes, for example maybe the blue will be seen at different place in the shadows, or the banding will change shape.  I don’t know if this is important.

First time I noticed it was in the OpenGL game. This is picture 1. You can see that the dark corners have become blue/green color. This was not a problem before, on 10.13.2, the corners were proper shadows instead of complete black with this strange blue hue.

I saw problems also in VLC, QuickTime Player and DVD Player with many different file types. I followed the advice from this forum and prepared a new profile with the settings that Florien has provided. I have already posted a message on the thread about black crush on macOS and Florien has told me that my profile was created correctly with the settings he advised.

But I still have the problem, even with the profile settings given by Florien, so I think there is another bug I am seeing. I am displaying an example with two pictures from DVD Player. This problem is not just in DVD Player or with this DVD, but also with VLC and reference quality Blu-Rays. I chose these pictures because the problem is so clear.

Picture 2 is the profile made with Florien’s settings. You will see there is banding and then complete black crush around the woman.

Picture 3 is the profile made with Florien’s settings but also with small Ambient Light Compensation. In this the problem is much worse, but I think this is because of the Ambient Light Compensation, Florien said this might cause such problem.

I have also made a new profile again using the CCSS file for Retina MacBook Pro 2016 on ArgyllCMS website. With this the problem is less than picture 1, but it is still there, and makes a sudden black crush in dark areas like a black hole. I didn’t have time to take a picture for an example.

I would try to upgrade to macOS 10.14 but I have not strong internet here and making the download is something I have to plan. Does anyone think it is a hardware problem? I will try my laptop with an external monitor soon, a wide gamut Adobe RGB monitor, and see what will happen.

Thank you for reading.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS