Balancing Colours!!

Home Forums General Discussion Balancing Colours!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

William
    Participant

Hi Florian,
    I have two questions for you;
    1. I’m having great difficulties balancing my colours to the arrows when selecting a White point of either 5000K or 6500K. Would I be better off just selecting ‘as measured’?
    2. Tone curve: I’m an amateur photographer and I do a lot of my own printing.
    What tone curve would you recommend to me to use…. sRGB or gamma 2.2?

I would very much appreciate any advice you would give me.
    Regards
    Bill

Vincent
    Participant

1-What you cannot fix in OSD will be corrected in GPU LUT. It’s better if you can get closer by OSD. Up to 6dE can be corrected without significative contrast loss

2-Photo & printing apps “should” be color managed (otherwise they won’t work as intended), hence display tone curve does not matter. Color management will “undo” it to get content colospace TRC. Usually a value close to display nativ( or nominal OSD value) or content TRC is the best choice to minimize truncation errors in color management engine. g2.2 should be my 1st try.

William
    Participant

Vincent,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

To day, I carried out another calibration  using gamma 2.2.  This time I got the colours to balance and  got the green ok tick.  I think I have the hang of it now.

However, at the end of the calibration, I was prompted to install profile which I did. Unfortunately,  it is still running and the only way I can cancel it,  is by clicking ‘end task’ in the task manager. Does this mean that I have lost the profile?

Regards

William

Vincent
    Participant

Vincent,

However, at the end of the calibration, I was prompted to install profile which I did. Unfortunately,  it is still running and the only way I can cancel it,  is by clicking ‘end task’ in the task manager. Does this mean that I have lost the profile?

It keeps running 24/7 untill you power off computer. It needs to be running, ensuring that no other tool cleans GPU LUT calibration. It’s on windows tray, nexto to date/time.

If you close it, log out-log in or reboot or launch tray app manually from displaycal folder.

William
    Participant

That’s a relief, I thought that I had lost the profile.

I manually downloaded the profile this morning and its running.

Thanks for your assistance, it is much appreciated.

William

William
    Participant

Vincent,

While I still have your attention. I have a question for you. It’s a bit of a long shot!  I purchased the gobellColor calibrator from Kickstarter. They have since gone out of business. Would their Sensor be compatible with Display Cal?

Regards

William

Vincent
    Participant

Go to Argyll web and check instruments support

William
    Participant

Not listed by Argyll and not recognised by Display Cal. So obviously, I now have a dud sensor. What a pity.

Thanks again for your assistance.

William

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS