Bad and inconsistent calibrations – colorimeter dying?

Home Forums General Discussion Bad and inconsistent calibrations – colorimeter dying?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Firedrops
    Participant

Hi, I’ve been trying to calibrate a new monitor all day, but been getting wildly inconsistent results:

• The interactive part at the start (where you adjust RGB by monitor OSD) swings wildly with each run, like within a range of 10 (out of 100).
      • However, within each interactive segment, if I close that window and re-start the calibration, the “balance” stays consistent. It only swings when I re-attempt calibration (like 1 hour later, after being disappointed).
    • The resulting sRGB color gamut swings from low 10x% to high 11x%

One thing is very consistent, though, that the calibrated profile is always noticeably warm (red/yellow tint).

I can tell the warm tint because I have 2 other monitors calibrated in the past, and simply positioning an all-white window spanning across all 3 monitors – the difference is super obvious. So it’s not just my eyes being subjective.

My Colorimeter: Spyder5Express

DisplayCAL version 3.8.9.3

Things I’ve tried adjusting throughout my attempts:

• Instrument Mode : LCD (generic) – LCD White LED
    • White level drift compensation : on – off
    • Black level drift compensation : on – off
    • Correction: auto/none or “Spyder5 & LG ULTRAWIDE 34um67-p”
      • Trying to import (Tools – Correction) Spyder5 5.5 software no longer works, I saw another thread where Florian recommended just choosing “Auto”
      • I assume this “LG ULTRAWIDE 34um67-p” came from there? I’ve never had such a monitor.
    • Observer : 1931-2  – 2012-2
    • White point : As Measured – Color temperature 6500k Daylight
    • Profile type: XYZ LUT + Matrix – Curves + Matrix – Single curve + Matrix
    • Testchart: Default – Auto-optimized

Things I’ve tried:

• Vacuuming the colorimeter to make sure there’s no dust inside
    • Double-checked that the colorimeter is very snugly and stably pressed against the monitor
    • Rolled up some tissue to gently stuff on the top just in case there’s ambient light bleeding through from the surroundings
    • Double-checked that no existing calibration profile is loaded (I know displayCAL manages this automatically, but I also made sure to remove the profile associations anyway).

Are there other things I should try? Or does this point to a dying/dead colorimeter?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Firedrops.

Firedrops
    Participant

Sorry, can’t edit the OP anymore, but I’ve also made sure:

• none of the colors are overdriven. It’s a modern monitor with an advertised max brightness of 350 cd/m².
      • I am calibrating it at only 150 cd/m², and changing individual pixel values through the OSD at the interactive stage still noticeably changes the RGB levels.
    • No auto-dimming, low blue light, etc, “features” are enabled.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Firedrops.

MW
    Participant

Firstly, you should upgrade to a i1-Display series device for better support of current and future tech and near black accuracy.

Second, assuming you bought your display recently it’s worth making sure that the display is not the cause while you’re within the return window(it happens). Without having a second device its hard to know either way if it’s caused by the meter or display. If you are lucky you have a different display/TV, or you can take advantage of a generous return policy to test a different display.

Other things causing inconsistent WP: pressure on the panel from the meter, the solution is angling the display so the meter is putting less weight on the panel.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by MW.

Firedrops
    Participant

Thanks for your insights! Yes, I’ll get a Calibrite ColorChecker (replaced the x-rite i1 series) if this Spyder5 is indeed dying, which is what I’m trying to ascertain.

The panel is definitely not anywhere near bad enough to justify a warranty/return claim.

Also fairly certain the colorimeter isn’t exerting excessive pressure on the display, maybe only ~10-20g.

Firedrops
    Participant

I tried again today… some weird stuff happened.

1. Installing the correction via Spyder5Express 5.5 setup was suddenly successful. (this thread has the same error message I had previously). No idea what changed, there was certainly no Displaycal update, I didn’t download a new copy of the 5.5 setup.
    2. The calibrations are working properly now, giving properly balanced and consistent results.

So the problem has randomly gone away on its own for me, for now…

MW
    Participant

The panel is definitely not anywhere near bad enough to justify a warranty/return claim.

Without knowing exactly how QC check for variations over hours I wouldn’t count on it. The manufacturer might consider it an acceptable condition and reject your claim later on. If you disagree use whatever consumer rights you have before it too late. Power supplies issues can be a cause, it’s not uncommon for Chinese OEMs to use counterfeit components that fail their specs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS