Awesomeness

Home Forums General Discussion Awesomeness

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Harry Sanders
    Participant

Hallo Florian!

I like to thank you for your hard work put into this software. Here I was, a 3d artist, game developer, and noob to color calibration. I am not a photographer, so I only have relatively good screens (BenQ SW240, BenQ PD2700Q and an older, cheap Philips consumer IPS).

Bought a SpyderX Pro not that long ago and used the Datacolor software till yesterday. I calibrated my screens multiple times and it never felt right. It always had this red tint, which I could only get rid of when skipping the calibration of the white point. Colors also did not match across my screens, so I went nuts and started adjusting colors myself, until they matched my hardware calibration of my SW240.

I especially could not get the color RED to be consistent between my BenQs, no matter what I did, the red seemed always different and I asked myself why it is not possible, even if panels are all different, to at least approximate the same tone of red on different screens, after all I am using a calibration software! Which was Datacolor. Now I am using DisplayCAL, and I am blown away! -> Despite obvious manufacturing related differences in the default 6500k color temperature settings between my screens, they’re now finally consistent in terms of colors!!!

I have spent hours and hours in despair, trying to match my screens with the Datacolor software, it never worked. Yesterday evening I uninstalled it, removed the driver from device manager and installed DisplaCAL, and after just about half an hour in sum for all 3 screens, I could not trust my eyes. The red is consistent now, no red tint, no nothing. It looks just right. Even though as mentioned there are differences in temperature due to manufacturing, the colors now more than acceptably match! Which makes me curse the Datacolor software and the time I wasted with it. I also thought it might be the device, but it seems the tech is sufficient as a tool for DisplaCAL to do its work.

In the end, after I noticed that DisplayCAL somehow increased the brightness of my PD2700Q at a candela of 120, which started to look more accurate even than my hardware calibrated SW240, I even started doubting the BenQ Palette Master software . Colors always seemed accurate, but the result with Palette Master felt too dark. I thought, this might be the way to go and adjusted my other screens accordingly. This resulted in some areas of the 3d game I am working on being too bright on my other screens I use for game testing (older Plasma) that are usually pretty decent.

So I also ditched the BenQ software Palette Master and totally prefer to swap it for the DisplayCAL software calibration in future! Now I even prefer the softwae calibration with displaCAL on a monitor that offers hardwarecalibration(!). Jus woke up, fired up my screens, comparing photographs to make me pinch I am not dreaming, so to speak 😛 The displays colors match, the red looks fantastically consistent across the screens.

I had already given up hopes for ever having a calibration across my 3 screens that feels right. I am so glad I finally gave DisplayCAL a try and I regret I did not do it sooner. I was reluctant due to what you read about the calibration times, but honestly, it was pretty quick (~10m per screen). So no concern there.

This has gotten a longer story: What I wanted to say is : Danke! Thanks from the heart for writing and maintaining this software! It blows my mind how passionate people outdo companies that offer software that are bundled with their products. I can not believe how mediocre to bad Datacolor software really is. But I now believe once again (just as with Blender) how powerful and great Open Source software can be!

Greetings und Grüße

Hardev

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS