Assumed target whitepoint of 6900K when using CIE 2012 2, is that normal?

Home Forums General Discussion Assumed target whitepoint of 6900K when using CIE 2012 2, is that normal?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Isaac Barahona
    Participant

So I just did a new calibration of my monitor but this time I decided to use the CIE 2012 2 observer instead of the default CIE 1931 2.

When I did the measurement report I noticed that the Assumed target whitepoint said 6900k instead of 6500k(the one I set in the settings for the calibration).

Is that normal? Or did I mess up somewhere.

Attached the icc profile, Measurement report and calibration settings used.  Instrument used: Datacolor’s Spyder 5

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The different observer is only in use during calibration measurements, because ICC profiles are based on CIE 1931 2° colorimetry. The effect is as intended, but it also means that the verification report will not show CIE 2012 values.

Isaac Barahona
    Participant

So CIE 2012 D65 equals to a 6900K white point on the CIE 1931 standard? So the calibration is correct but the reports and the icc profiles work on the older standard. Is that right?

Also why DisplayCal marks the D65 coordinates of CIE 1964 10 on x 0.3127 y  0.3291 instead of x 0.3138 y 0.3310?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So CIE 2012 D65 equals to a 6900K white point on the CIE 1931 standard? So the calibration is correct but the reports and the icc profiles work on the older standard. Is that right?

Basically.

Also why DisplayCal marks the D65 coordinates of CIE 1964 10 on x 0.3127 y 0.3291 instead of x 0.3138 y 0.3310?

There’s currently no conversion going on. That is something I intend to add, but it’s not very high on my priority list.

Isaac Barahona
    Participant

Thank you for answering my questions Florian.

Diko Jelev
    Participant

Hi.

It is very hard to find any info on this new observer feature. 🙁 So far on my good old HPz24x  with:

• 10 bits (8 bits + FRC),
    • GB-r LED,
    • AH-IPS
    • AdobeRGB around 99 % coverage
    • Brightness set to around 120 cdm

seem to have miscalibrated it when talking about backlight greenish…. white.

On the other hand it’s little brother the HPz24i with:

• 8 bits (6 bits + FRC)
    • W-LED
    • AH-IPS, PLS
    • sRGB around 99 % coverage
    • Brightness set to around 160 cdm

There is redish… white.

When both were calibrated with DisplayCal back in 2016. And I did and still have the SPYDER 5. What would you have me recommended to use as settings since I work in full darkness? I read your lovely tutorial about Spyder 5, which was NOT available back then.

It is super. Thank you for creating it. But the newest features in your software are not reflected. Especially the observer setting. That is why I write here. I believe that the greenish thing is due to CIE 1931. Any advice? Additionally any additional advice on settings for creating these two displays would be most appreciated. <3

For my wide gamut display what Tone Curve to set? You miss to provide answer on that too. 🙁

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Diko Jelev.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What’s your whitepoint target? Also see the FAQ about matching displays.

For my wide gamut display what Tone Curve to set?

As with most everything, keep the default (gamma 2.2).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS