Assistance to the content consumer

Home Forums General Discussion Assistance to the content consumer

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Евгений
    Participant

In general, I do not like the default gamma of my monitor. It has no gamma settings. (eyes get tired very quickly. for example, when you play flashes from weapons, they turn out to be too strong relative to the surrounding space)
    Initially, I tried to use the standard Windows tools, but unfortunately this leads to strong banding. In general, I see banding in YouTube videos even with default settings, but not so much.
    I found several color profiles for my monitor with gamut 2.2 and sRGB gamut. The first seems to me good for movies, the second for everyday use. Although I wonder which one is “correct” for the consumer?
    And now I had a desire to calibrate specifically for my monitor. I thought about buying SpyderXPRO – will it be enough for a good gamma setting? (preferably this should not worsen the banding situation) Maybe I need to buy something else? (at about the same price).

Sorry, I don’t speak English very well and it’s very difficult for me to search for things on the forum. Maybe you will give links to detailed descriptions of the calibration process and its settings.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

It is 2.2 and sRGB “TRC” (brightness of each grey), not gamut (“colorspace”).
    For non color managed aim for 2.2 gamma and some sRGB/rec709 gamut preset in monitor. If it has no sRGB preset use AMD control panel, novideo sRGB tool or DWMLUT/madVR(for movies)

Do not buy Spyders, minimum Xrite i1d3 family

Евгений
    Participant

novideo sRGB tool

my monitor doesn’t seem to go much beyond sRGB (color space). and I decided not to use those things. I’m fine with native.

i.e. gamma 2.2 would be correct? the spyder will not be able to tune it well?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

MW
    Participant

novideo_sRGB it will likely cause less banding than GPU table calibration. Don’t worry about the gamut correction, it using Matrix(1D), the effect will be mild and purist-friendly.

Евгений
    Participant

I needed to write more about this. I have a video card from AMD and I tried to turn on the sRGB mode (via the driver). This mode cuts colors too much (it looks like a very old TN), the reason is that the EDIT data of the monitor is incorrect – it reports 140% sRGB, but in fact there is less than 115% (the coverage itself is 94-99% depending on the instance). I tried dwmlut (if I’m not mistaken in the name) and it works much better even if I use someone else’s profiles for my monitor model. I refused to use this program. I am generally satisfied with native colors + this program reduces performance. maybe i will do it for madvr. in general, I don’t like the native gamma of the monitor – it goes too much into dark shades. other people’s profiles are a good fit in my opinion, I just wanted to make a tweak for my instance (this should better the result). and now I’m interested in people’s opinion – whether the spyder can cope with the gamma setting or is it better to leave someone else’s profile made with more expensive pieces.

Евгений
    Participant

also i would like to ask – do you see a lot of banding at the beginning of this video?

Vincent
    Participant

Do not buy Spyders, explained too many times.

Do not use some vidoe to test banding since content may have it. Open lagom lcd gradient test on MS paint instead, if there is banding in that then test monitor or calibration has banding. If there is no banding on that test, it is ok but color managed apps may have banding because rounding errors.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.

Евгений
    Participant

The monitor passes this and similar tests without banding. it’s just that I would like to see it less in non-synthetic things. well, apparently I shouldn’t buy things to calibrate the monitor, other people’s profiles will suffice.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Try to read this: https://4k-monitor.ru/about/kalibrovka/ Here’re quite old articles, but they explain key things.

Games don’t support full ICC workflow, cause it can’t be extremely fast and cause games are showbiz. Here you can only buy some display that is close to sRGB out-of-the-box. DWM_LUT is a very good tool, but it can’t achieve non-CM speed (CM = color management/managed). Yes, you can build good enough LUT to correct display problems and emulate sRGB (or sRGB with gamma 2.2, i.e. office display). Don’t buy any tool, but rent i1Pro [2/3] spectrophotometer. Choose white point with this device, then move it with display RGB bars slightly to achieve most stable white and skin tones. Also, try other settings in your display. Switch off dynamic contrast (DCF or like this), set user mode and cautom white point, but also try sRGB/Photo, check for shadows correction settings. Plug display with DP to nVidia, they tend to switch to TV signal at HDMI ports.

Gamut is color coverage of some ICC profile or device itself.

Gamma direct meaning is a rate of power function, we can imagine it as contrast power. But we usually use gamma term for any kind of contrast transfer law, = tonal response curve. This curve don’t limit RGB primaries of display panel, so it can’t desaturate colors.

Евгений
    Participant

Yes, maybe not all games or not fully support profiles, but at least what I have works well (I see a change in gamma). More importantly, it works on desktop and browser.
    As I already said, I have two configured profiles with gamma 2.2 and sRGB. (In the first message I wrote it as “gamut”, but this is a translator – I meant gamma.) Yes, they were not made on my monitor instance, it’s probably very inaccurate, but that’s enough for me.
    I wanted to buy a device. I wanted to experiment more (maybe I would like gamma 2.1 or some other setting) and understand this issue (probably it will take a long time). In addition, I have a few more devices to set up. In addition, I live in a small town and do not see rental announcements, only with the arrival of the “master” who will use the spyder. I do not need it.

Евгений
    Participant

I have a question about DisplayCAL, or rather about Synthetic Profile Creator. If I create a synthetic sRGB profile, while changing the gamma setting to 2.2 or 2.0, I don’t see any difference after applying them. is that how it should be? maybe I’m doing something wrong?

Vincent
    Participant

I have a question about DisplayCAL, or rather about Synthetic Profile Creator. If I create a synthetic sRGB profile, while changing the gamma setting to 2.2 or 2.0, I don’t see any difference after applying them. is that how it should be? maybe I’m doing something wrong?

They have no GPU grey calibration (VCGT), it’s just a colorspace decription.

To embed arbitrary VCGT into an ICC check ArgyllCMS command tools, there was a thread somewhere about that.

Евгений
    Participant

Thanks, I found out how to embed VCGT from one profile to another. And it actually helped me because the sRGB gamma profile suited my monitor better.

I just built a 2.2 gamma into it.

C:\AC\bin>iccvcgt.exe -x GM.icm curves.cal

C:\AC\bin>iccvcgt.exe -i TL.icm curves.cal TL2.2.icm

What happened looks better than the old profiles separately.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS