As far as accuracy, does it matter what ips monitor I use if it’s 99% srgb?

Home Forums Help and Support As far as accuracy, does it matter what ips monitor I use if it’s 99% srgb?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

thevisi0nary
    Participant

Right now I only edit photos for web. I do also print, but as far as I’ve read most print services usually want srgb.

I keep going back and fourth on what monitor to get. I have a colorimeter (i1display Pro). Is any ips panel with 99% accuracy fine for what I do?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Is any ips panel with 99% accuracy fine for what I do?

It is not accuracy, it is “volume intersection” with sRGB. It’s like “set intersection” in school or to intersect 3D solids.

Regarding your answer: no.  Why?

-some screens have better color & brightness uniformity than others, although color uniformity in “just sRGB” screens is not usually very bad.
    -some screens have better “starting point” (neutral grey) so if you are limited by graphics card (banding after calibration), like in most laptops, its better to have a good starting point.
    -some screens (sRGB screens) have HW calibration, so get better chances to avoid to correct grey in graphics card, although you can use DisplayCAL for verification (and I do recomend that)

You can try to get an “estimate” (by a review sample) of QC of some models in reviews.
    1- can be seen in prad.de reviews or in user reviews with a DsplayCal deltaC uniformity report
    2-the same as above but prad.de only provides deltaC and range deviation, an user review with display cal will show actual a* deviations in grey uncalibrated

But this does not mean that it has to be expensive if you limit your choice to sRGB models. It just means they are not equal. There can be models under 500 euro that gets those 3 or at least the the two first ones in a typical 27″ QHD IPS-like screen.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS