Apple Cinema Display 30″ yellow – Calibrate out?

Home Forums General Discussion Apple Cinema Display 30″ yellow – Calibrate out?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

JacekK
    Participant

Hi all, a question about the yellow tint which old  Apple Cinema Displays acquire with age.

I am a professional editor/colourist hence work in a lot of different edit bays and absolutely loved the old 30″ Apple displays, just for the amount of real estate they offer if nothing else. But also saw how they yellow with age.

Now that I’m working mostly from home my 24″ monitors just don’t hack it for screen space – not for accurate colour correction but just for editing. No-one likes to work with a dim yellow monitor.

I now see Apple Cinema Displays selling for very little on eBay and wonder if it is possible to dial that yellow out with calibration. (When working with them I tied to do it with the internal controls and couldn’t come close).  One of my three current monitors is an old dying Samsung, very dim, half dark across the top and not possible to brighten with the internal controls and yet to my astonishment I was able to calibrate it to within normal.  Or at least close to normal.

Is this possible with the Apple Cinema Display? Does anyone have any experience with this?

MW
    Participant

Assuming the yellowing affects the spectral power distribution I would expect that the white point will be off after profiling.

JacekK
    Participant

Assuming the yellowing affects the spectral power distribution I would expect that the white point will be off after profiling.

Thank you MW. I would expect the same result – just wondering if anyone has practical experience with this actual monitor.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS