Apple Cinema Display 23"

Home Forums Help and Support Apple Cinema Display 23"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Mark
    Participant

Hi, I’m using a 23″ Apple Cinema Display for external monitoring, when working in Media Composer and Resolve, via a HDLink DVI pro.  When beginning to calibrate the monitor to get a test measurement I’m unable to adjust the RGB values on the display, (not available) to achieve similar RGB values as requested.   Therefore I just continue onto calibrating.  Will this effect the final values for calibration?  Can DisplayCal calibrate without matching the RGB values when running start measurement?

Best Mark.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Can DisplayCal calibrate without matching the RGB values when running start measurement?

Yes, by default the 3D LUT will correct remaining white point differences.

Mark
    Participant

That’s great , I was worried because the values were quite quite some way apart.  It’s the same with the brightness, I have no control over the display when set up this way so I just left it to match current value which was approx 260 cdm.   When setting the values for resolve what would you recommend I set the whitepoint, white level and gamma knowing I have no control over the display?

Best Mark.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It’s the same with the brightness, I have no control over the display when set up this way so I just left it to match current value which was approx 260 cdm.

Brightness can be adjusted when directly connected to a Mac, and I think the monitor will remember the setting when connected via the HDLink again. My suggestion would be to set the monitor to 100cd/m2 if you’re grading in a dim room.

When setting the values for resolve what would you recommend I set the whitepoint, white level and gamma knowing I have no control over the display?

Just use the “3D LUT for Resolve” preset.

Mark
    Participant

Hi Florian,

I’ve done as suggested and created the 3D LUT.  Once applied it adjusts the appearance of clips imported into resolve.  However I have a TV Logic LVM 075A and it has been calibrated using CL Soft.  I know I can trust this calibration and the images it displays.  So I set up a camera and sent it’s signal to the HDLink, this way I was able to send the signal to both the TVLogic and cinema display, the image on both screens matched very closely.  My concern is that when in resolve and I apply the LUT that DisplayCal created clips are adjusted.  Can this be trusted when running a signal from camera into the TV Logic and cinema display matched without a LUT being applied?

Best Mark.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Sorry, I don’t understand your question. If the image matches on both displays, what is your concern?

Mark
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Sorry that post makes no sense. Please ignore as I have resolved the issue.  What I would like to know is if it is possible to create a LUT that can be applied in media composer to calibrate my monitor.   Does the monitor LUT affect the output from resolve?

Best Mark.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What I would like to know is if it is possible to create a LUT that can be applied in media composer to calibrate my monitor.

I don’t have Avid, so I wouldn’t be able to tell unfortunately.

Does the monitor LUT affect the output from resolve?

If by “monitor LUT” you mean the video card gamma table (videoLUT), then only the output from Resolve on the desktop monitor is affected by it (as is everything else on the desktop monitor), not any monitor connected via the HDLink.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS