Appearently displaycal uses “old” meter profiling method

Home Forums General Discussion Appearently displaycal uses “old” meter profiling method

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Mark Walter
    Participant

In the lift gamma gain forums i asked about why displaycal isn’t recommended for calibration and profiling. Appearently displaycal uses the ‘old’ meter profiling method, so you will end up with some out-of-CIE errors (negative values).

my first question would be, is that true and why is there no update? Is it due to patent/legal claims from Calman etc.?

my second question: I am planning to get a Lg oled 950 where displaycal appearently produces even more errors, so i am wondering if it makes any sense to get the display in the first place if I cannot calibrate it properly.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Mark Walter.

EP98
    Participant

This is due to the White sub pixel. You’ll need to take that into account when profiling your colorimeter. DisplayCal doesn’t support a newer better method.

Colourspace uses a FCVM method of profiling which improves accuracy on WRGB OLED. It doesn’t use the older FCMM method anymore.

Calman uses the bodner method to improve WRGB OLED accuracy.

Mark Walter
    Participant

Thanks for your answer. But as far as I know the OLED 32EP950 is a RGB-OLED with no W-LED… So this problem wouldn’t occur and Displaycal is still good enough to capture the calibration and profiling data, right?

Mark Walter
    Participant

Colourspace uses a FCVM method of profiling which improves accuracy on WRGB OLED. It doesn’t use the older FCMM method anymore.Calman uses the bodner method to improve WRGB OLED accuracy.

Is that something that will or could be updated ArgyllCMS in the future, or is it not possible because of any patent infringement?

WhatHueMean
    Participant

What is the minimum version of Calman that we can use to calibrate computer monitors then? Is the x-rite software comparable at all in comparison?

EP98
    Participant

You should be fine with RGB OLED with DisplayCal. I still use it alot.

It’s WRGB OLED that causes issues, although the volumetric method of profiling Colourspace uses is more accurate across the board for all displays not just WRGB OLED compared to the older 4 matrix method.

You’ll be fine calibrating computer monitors with DisplayCal. X-Rite software sucks, don’t use it. But pro software will be better due to continued support and newer methods.

But Calman is very expensive. You are talking thousands of dollars. Colourspace is cheaper but also expensive, hundreds of dollars. Prices don’t make sense for the average person. You’re better off using free software like DisplayCal if you’re on a budget.

Vincent
    Participant

AFAIK ArgyllCMS does not use traditional 4 color matrix, but ask in maillist. DisplayCAL is just a frontend, a GUI.
    All new features regarding colorimetry, ask to ARgyllCMS developer, ArgyllCMS is actively releasing new versions every year or 6 months.

Mark Walter
    Participant

AFAIK ArgyllCMS does not use traditional 4 color matrix, but ask in maillist. DisplayCAL is just a frontend, a GUI.
    All new features regarding colorimetry, ask to ARgyllCMS developer, ArgyllCMS is actively releasing new versions every year or 6 months.

I know DisplayCal is just a frontend, but thanks for the advice, I will ask Graeme Gill through his mailing list support.

Mark Walter
    Participant

This is due to the White sub pixel. You’ll need to take that into account when profiling your colorimeter. DisplayCal doesn’t support a newer better method.

Colourspace uses a FCVM method of profiling which improves accuracy on WRGB OLED. It doesn’t use the older FCMM method anymore.

Calman uses the bodner method to improve WRGB OLED accuracy.

How exactly can I profile my new Calibrite ColorChecker Display Plus with the Colormunky PHOTO? Or would you recommend not using it, as it is a very old and not ideal spectrometer?

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Mark Walter
    Participant

EP98
    Participant

I’d be Interested to know what profile method argyllcms uses. I was under the assumption it was an older method based on what people in lift gain was saying.

The lowest end spectro I’ve seen pros use is an i1 Pro 2/3. I never see them use a colormunki photo. I dont know It’s accuracy and reliability.

But you would profile your colorimeter with it just the same in DisplayCal in the meter profile tab.

You won’t know how accurate the meter profile creation was.

And colorimeters are not consistent. I have two i1 Display Pro OEM’s (Calibrite is just a rebrand of the same meter) and they both measure differently.

Close but still enough to cause visible delta errors. Best way is to profile your colorimeter yourself on your own display using your own spectro.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS