Any way to measure gamut coverage percentage without completing a calibration?

Home Forums Help and Support Any way to measure gamut coverage percentage without completing a calibration?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

yagma
    Participant

The only way I see to measure gamut coverage and volume percentage is to preview it in the install screen of a displaycal profile. As far as I can see, displaycal has no option to determine what the gamut coverage of a monitor is prior to calibration.

Displaycal could excel far beyond its current form if it had a guide, and option to measure default monitor values prior to calibration, and, post calibration, then list by rank all subsequent calibrations by order of gamut coverage and volume.

A “detect current gamma coverage and volume percentage” would be a game changer, and give an indication if a re-calibration is in order. An option and column saving gamut percentages during “pre-calibration”, after “interactive display adjustment”, and after “post calibration”, to compare and rank the current calibration with the aforementioned would give users the ability to better refine their setup.

If it did a simple test to install and measure the gamut percentage of every user generated displaycal profile and compare them all to determine which one is most accurate.

I’m surprised this is not yet a feature. What are your thoughts?

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by yagma.

yagma
    Participant

Like “measure and compare current gamut coverage, to display profile(s)”.

Vincent
    Participant

Coverage depends on actual color volume (including possible irregularities) hence needs a profile (device description), even if it would not create one.
    If you do not want to calibrate full grayscale, just set all calibration tab items to as measured, then profile. Complexity & patches of profile = time. Simple curve + matrix wpould be enough for a fast evaluation. A 400 patch XYZLUT profile for more detailed capture of gamut boundaries.

Once profile is created it will compare it to teh 3 typical colorspaces. If you wish to compare 2 arbitary profiles you should ArgyllCMS command line: iccgamut and viewgam. One creates a generic volume description in a .gam file, the other tool intersect them and calculate coverages from oen to another. I do not remember the order. Read ARgyllCMS documentation, DisplayCAL has no arbitrary profile comparison, you can ask Erkan on his Python3 port

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS