Ambient light setting change

Home Forums Help and Support Ambient light setting change

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thank you very much Florian for all your help! You’re helping me to learn.

It’s curious however that photoshop requires me to select the ‘Prof conditions’ to activate the proper profile, but my cheap free image viewer (Honeyview) is doing it automatically! (I did a side by side comparison while toggling the preview in Photoshop to see. And it was very clear that Honeyview was using the intended .icc file that we have bee talking about.)

Why would this be?

Also, in the color management settings in my viewer program there are two choices: “Use ICC file for monitor” and “Use ICC file from image”  …  I’ve been selecting both, but I’m not sure which ones to choose.

Do you know?

🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Steve Smith.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Why would this be?

Different programs, different ways to achieve the same thing.

Also, in the color management settings in my viewer program there are two choices: “Use ICC file for monitor” and “Use ICC file from image” … I’ve been selecting both, but I’m not sure which ones to choose.

Both seems correct to me.

Steve Smith
    Participant

So let me get this straight…

If I use Your ‘Ambient light’ measuring tool, I am only affecting the look of non-color-managed apps and the desktop.

And…

If I use your CIECAM02 mapping tool, I am only effecting the look of color-managed apps. If I tell them to use it.

Are the calculations derived from the ‘Ambient Light’ tool measurements later incorporated into the  CIECAM02 mapping calculations that I am doing, or are they not related to each other?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I use Your ‘Ambient light’ measuring tool, I am only affecting the look of non-color-managed apps and the desktop.

Yes.

If I use your CIECAM02 mapping tool, I am only effecting the look of color-managed apps. If I tell them to use it.

Yes.

Are the calculations derived from the ‘Ambient Light’ tool measurements later incorporated into the CIECAM02 mapping calculations that I am doing, or are they not related to each other?

They are not related.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thanks!

So I’ve decided to start over. I’ve created a calibration\profile combo this time using the CIECAM02 thing to compensate for low room-light perception…. Then I used that profile to create the other two. (Typical and bright conditions)

Not quite sure what ‘Typical’ is used for as I would think that the default calibration\profile is already set to do a typical calculation.  (Any differences?)

BTW,  the slow down to a crawl thing has happened again. This time I know it is not my overclock that is causing it as I have a fresh install using default processor\ram settings. (And it wasn’t set to 5000 patches – It was set to 7000+ patches)

Finally… Thoughts…Before I spend another penny on PC equipment, I am going to research getting a Mac… I’ve been so close-minded about using PC only that it never occurred to me that Mac seems to be much better suited for Color management…Programs, desktop etc… Can’t believe that it took years to realize this!! I’m not a gammer. All through the years I kept hearinng that Windows are for gammers and Macs are for graphic artists and photographers… Do you think I would have clued into this? Of course not, that would have been too easy! 🙂

Take care.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Not quite sure what ‘Typical’ is used for as I would think that the default calibration\profile is already set to do a typical calculation. (Any differences?)

The CIECAM02 Wikipedia page I linked to has more information (specifically the “average surround” condition).

BTW, the slow down to a crawl thing has happened again.

Update to Argyll CMS 1.9 (notification should pop up the next time you launch DisplayCAL if you haven’t turned off update checks at startup).

Steve Smith
    Participant

Yes, I downloaded this update morning!!! … Awesome!!… I noticed that one of the changes involved the ‘Targen’ module… Is this change due to the problem I’ve been having with the slow down? … Did you report it to him?

Figures there’d be an Argyll update today: I just ran an 11,000 patch-set last night successfully… Do you think it’d be worth running again with the new Argyll update installed? Would the new improvements do a better job overall? (Remember I’m using that ‘Darkened environment’ function.’

Thank you.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I noticed that one of the changes involved the ‘Targen’ module… Is this change due to the problem I’ve been having with the slow down?

Yes, although it’s not 100% guaranteed that it’ll fix the problem. A DisplayCAL update will follow (no ETA currently) which addresses the issue too, and that will be a 100% fix.

Do you think it’d be worth running again with the new Argyll update installed? Would the new improvements do a better job overall?

I don’t think that there’ll be noticeable differences.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thanks for working on an update to the update! Lol…

I am considering sending you a modest contribution as I feel that you deserve support for all your efforts. This program is fantastic and your willingness to help is unparalleled. Much appreciated!

How would I go about doing this? – (If I don’t have PayPal).

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks, much appreciated 🙂

Apart from PayPal, you could also send a bank transfer (if the fees are not prohibitive). Contact me via email if you’d like to go this route. Also note that PayPal may offer to process credit card payments without having a PayPal account, but this has proven to be hit-and-miss. If you click the PayPal “contribute” button on the homepage, and it doesn’t offer credit card, or wants you to create an account after clicking the “continue” link next to the credit card logos, then it’s not possible.

Steve Smith
    Participant

OK, I’ll have a look and see what the best way is for me to contribute to you… I’ll have to wait until the first or second week of October. But I will contribute.

Questions:

• Is it a normal for the colors to desaturate as I increase  the number of patches used in profiling? (Large amount of patches) – I don’t think it’s drift because the accuracy seems reports very good, but saturation seemd to go down. (Maybe lower saturation is what accuracy actually looks like!)
    • By NOT adjusting the Low RGB bias I have increased contrast, but is this the possible cause of my desaturation?
    • Does adjusting the Low RGB bias increase color accuracy and fidelity, but at the expense of contrast?

Thanks again. 🙂

Steve Smith
    Participant

Also, I’ve noticed that when I play Netflix or YouTube through my computer to an HDTV monitor with the profile we’ve been talking about,  I get an over-saturated image… Do you think I should make a separate profile for viewing Netflix and YouTube? Do you think I should make a TV standard profile ‘REC 709’?

If so, what is the exact name of the preset I should choose to create this profile?

Thanks.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Forgot to mention, I’m using Firefox with color management turned on. Images look stunning, but anything involving video seems to be over-saturated toward red. (In this browser).

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is it a normal for the colors to desaturate as I increase the number of patches used in profiling? (Large amount of patches) – I don’t think it’s drift because the accuracy seems reports very good, but saturation seemd to go down. (Maybe lower saturation is what accuracy actually looks like!)

You sure your eyes don’t betray you? 🙂

• By NOT adjusting the Low RGB bias I have increased contrast, but is this the possible cause of my desaturation?
    • Does adjusting the Low RGB bias increase color accuracy and fidelity, but at the expense of contrast?

Hard to know without knowing the details of how the controls are implemented (the manufacturer will know).

Also, I’ve noticed that when I play Netflix or YouTube through my computer to an HDTV monitor with the profile we’ve been talking about, I get an over-saturated image

Forgot to mention, I’m using Firefox with color management turned on. Images look stunning, but anything involving video seems to be over-saturated toward red. (In this browser).

Video in the browser is generally not color managed, Firefox being no exception.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Yes, my eyes are probably betraying me… Because when I come back to it things suddenly look excellent.

I realize that the manufacture of my TV would know better about the ‘Low bias’ vs color saturation… I was just asking  if there is a known general coronation between the two. (Like contrast vs low bias). ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS