Am I doing the calibration right for web design?

Home Forums Help and Support Am I doing the calibration right for web design?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

huescue
    Participant

We have a small team of web designers that use Dell 2720Q and U2723QE monitors with Macbooks via USB-C. We only do web / app design with Figma, so I believe our aim is to create everything in accurate sRGB.

I bought an Calibrite ColorChecker Display Plus and I’m trying to calibrate all monitors. I soon noticed that most tutorials are made for photographers or printing and everything got really complicated for a beginner.

After reading multiple guides, here is how I did my first calibration:

I left the external monitor color profile to default:

On DisplayCal I used these settings:

I used “Custom color” in Dell and adjusted the colors and brightness as close as possible:

I ran the calibration, saved the profile, sent it to the end-users Macbook and installed the .icc color profile by copying it to Mac HD/User/Libraries/ColorSync/Profiles and selected the new profile from Display settings:

Then I made sure Figma is using the right color mode:

Did I do it right? Am I using the right settings

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by huescue.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Seems right, although IDNK if those two Dells are WLED PFS. If community correction database shows a WLED PFS plot in spectral power distribution (or a review in other web) then it should be the roght one.

huescue
    Participant

Seems right, although IDNK if those two Dells are WLED PFS. If community correction database shows a WLED PFS plot in spectral power distribution (or a review in other web) then it should be the roght one.

Thanks! Yeah I found very conflicting information on which Correction to use. Is there any list or place to verify these from?

I noticed every monitor losing a bit of contrast when installing the calibration ICC profile. I don’t know was this due to the wrong correction or just in general that the calibration is more correct. I was afraid to calibrate all monitors as I still have some doubts am I using the right settings.

Vincent
    Participant

Discard CCMX, only CCSS

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/

I noticed every monitor losing a bit of contrast when installing the calibration ICC profile. I don’t know was this due to the wrong correction or just in general that the calibration is more correct. I was afraid to calibrate all monitors as I still have some doubts am I using the right settings.

If measured contrast drop usually this is because you did not change white using OSD gains.
    What you may experience as contrast drop ist not actual contrast drop, but  using an  accurate TRC instead baked profile from EDID with fake TRC that macOS creates.
    Another different question is if you need tio change native monitor’s TRC to sRGB, and you do not need to do it in a color managed enviroment (next msg)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Vincent.

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks! Yeah I found very conflicting information on which Correction to use. Is there any list or place to verify these from?

I did not noticed before, I won’t choose sRGB TRC on a 1000:1 display. MacOS desktop is color managed, get the closest one to native, usually 2.2.

huescue
    Participant

Discard CCMX, only CCSS

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/

Thanks. I’ll take a look what people have used there

If measured contrast drop usually this is because you did not change white using OSD gains.

Hmm, is that different from what I did on the 4th image where I tried to balance the colors from OSD before running the calibration?

Another different question is if you need tio change native monitor’s TRC to sRGB, and you do not need to do it in a color managed enviroment (next msg)

I did not noticed before, I won’t choose sRGB TRC on a 1000:1 display. MacOS desktop is color managed, get the closest one to native, usually 2.2.

Sorry this was unclear for me. Did you mean that I should choose “Default Gamma 2.2” instead of sRGB in Displaycal?

Vincent
    Participant

Hmm, is that different from what I did on the 4th image where I tried to balance the colors from OSD before running the calibration?

All those bars that you cannot correct in OSD will be correcetd in GPU LUTs. The gap seems very small so no noticeable contrast drop should happen.
    Easy to test, measure contrast with and without custom profile (measurement report or whatever you want to use).

My guess is that your claimed contrast drop is not real and you are labeling as contrast drop (white lum divided by black lum) something that is not contrast drop => using a TRC in content (sRGB) that in dark greys (not black) is DEFINED to be brighter that 2.2 + limited contrast display that is using a profile with a fake true black profile (due to macOS limitations).

Sorry this was unclear for me. Did you mean that I should choose “Default Gamma 2.2” instead of sRGB in Displaycal?

You are in a color managed enviroment (although with a very simplified and faulty color engine, Apple’s) => Calibration gamma/TRC is irrelevant as long as profile records it => Use the closest to native because you are loosing unique grey levels for nothing.

Example: My native display is g2.2, I calibrate to g1.8 then profile. I run a color managed image viewer, my display TRC will be undone to match content colorspace TRC. Each step with destructive limited precision on each calculation unless dithering or hight bit depth is applied.
    So… minimize the losses in 1st step.

On non color managed enviroments you want to match TRC and gamut. Not your case.

If with this example you do not understant why whatever TRC you calibrate to is undone in a color managed enviroment read a book or a webinar about color management.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS