Alienware AW3423DWF Calibration Settings

Home Forums General Discussion Alienware AW3423DWF Calibration Settings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Bereno
    Participant

Hi everyone! First and foremost, thank you to all that have made this forum what it is. I have read on here for a long time and have learned a lot. Of note, one of the things that I have learned is that there is ALWAYS more to learn haha. That said, I recently picked up a new monitor that I have tried to calibrate with some difficulty understanding the best settings. Can you guys please help me understand if I have my settings correct in DisplayCAL?

I am using a Calibrite Colorchecker Display Pro. The monitor is as state above: Alienware AW3423DWF

I have selected white level drift compensation since its an OLED

Correction: LCD Quantum Dot LED (Samsung QLED Q9). Is this correct? I know that the technology is different, but I just want to make sure this is the best choice of the choices given.

For the calibration, I chose observer:  CIE 2012 2*.

For color temp I set it to 6500

I have my white level at 130 nits based on person preference

The monitor I have set to a custom color profile, and have only adjusted the brightness, and color gain for Red, Gree, and Blue. I have not adjusted the offsets, hue, or saturation at all.

So far, does anything appear off?

Thanks in advance!!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Correction: LCD Quantum Dot LED (Samsung QLED Q9). Is this correct? I know that the technology is different, but I just want to make sure this is the best choice of the choices given.

Take a look at this (this sample is DW, not DWF)

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/hash/2b06aa1c3fca8117628eeba21af77c73/Dell%2C%20Dell%20AW3423DW%20%28i1%20Pro%202%29.ccss

There are other CCSS samples but some of them were not measured properly. (https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/?get&type=ccss&manufacturer_id=DEL&display=Dell%20AW3423DW&instrument=i1%20DisplayPro%2C%20ColorMunki%20Display%2C%20Spyder4&html=1)

Samsung QLED Q9 spectral power distribution has more or less the same shape, but long tail in blue and some peaks in red & green do not match… hence use this.
    Depending on your particular colorimeter unit it may cause a whitepoint error or return same coordinates (under some small dE distance between them).

Vincent
    Participant

Unfortunately there is no EDR support fo that backlight so if you need to user other 3rd party sftware that rellies on Xrite SDK you’ll have to “forge” an existing EDR with that spectral data. SOme threads explaing this.

Bereno
    Participant

Hi Vincent – to be perfectly honest, at lot of that data is beyond my current level of understanding. From what I can gather though, it appears that the “LCD Quantum Dot LED” correction is probably better than auto or no correction, no? All said and done, I think the monitor looks pretty good, just a little saturated in the reds. I might just tweak that manually though. Thanks for the help!

Vincent
    Participant

Hi Vincent – to be perfectly honest, at lot of that data is beyond my current level of understanding. From what I can gather though, it appears that the “LCD Quantum Dot LED” correction is probably better than auto or no correction, no?

Yes, but no need to use “none” when you have a more accurate one:
    https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/hash/2b06aa1c3fca8117628eeba21af77c73/Dell%2C%20Dell%20AW3423DW%20%28i1%20Pro%202%29.ccss

All said and done, I think the monitor looks pretty good, just a little saturated in the reds. I might just tweak that manually though. Thanks for the help!

Bereno
    Participant

I did not realize that I can add in a spectral correction from online! I am now using the one measured for the DW, but I would assume that is close enough. I will calibrate it again and let you know how that worked out! Thanks again for the guidance on this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS