after calibration does displaycal need to run in background?

Home Forums General Discussion after calibration does displaycal need to run in background?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Marius Sena
    Participant

as per title, I have just finished calibrating one of my laptop display.I noticed the display running in the notification ares with a coloured icon.  Can I turn off displaycal or does it need to run minimized in the background?

Also after restart my display flickers between calibrated and pre calibrated state before settling to the calibrated colours. Is this normal, I thought once calibrated the colour profile icc is installed as default in  windows colour management ? If it is the default icc , why does displaycal switches from non calibrated to calibrated  after a restart of my pc?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The display is always uncalibrated until the profile loader runs. It needs to keep running in the background.

Marius Sena
    Participant

so new to this, I thought after calibration, icc installed and set as default?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The ICC profile and calibration are different. Windows does not load calibration by default. See https://argyllcms.com/doc/calvschar.html

dimedrol
    Participant

Last time I calibrated my display I uninstalled DisplayCal and set the profile it generated manually in Color Management. It produced the same visible result as having DisplayCal appy the profile. Not sure what the difference is, but I sure as hell could not see it.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The Windows built-in calibration loader lacks higher than 8 bit support and always truncates to the nearest 8-bit value. This can lead to increased banding, which is visible on gray gradients. Even with an 8-bit display path, the DisplayCAL calibration loader is superior because it can be set to 8 bit with rounding. Furthermore, if you have multiple monitors and regularly disable some of them, then Windows will report the incorrect profile to legacy applications.

dimedrol
    Participant

Thanks for the info, Florian, much appreciated

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS