Advice on Calibrating HP LP2480zx

Home Forums Help and Support Advice on Calibrating HP LP2480zx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

laneo
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve already  used DisplayCAL to calibrate my macbook pro display and one dell monitor using my eyone display 2 that came with my monitor HP LP2480zx.

I know its a newbie question. But i’d like to calibrate the HP using DisplayCAL instead of the DreamColor software that came with it. Is that possible, Considering that the profiles seems to be saved on the hp monitor? From the monitor you can switch from 7 different space colors, and each can be calibrated with the DreamColor software that came with it.

Thanks,

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

there is no support for accessing monitor internal LUTs in Argyll CMS, so calibration will have to be done in the normal way of using the graphics card videoLUT.

laneo
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Again, i´m going to make a newbie question: Is there any advantage on using monitor internal LUTs vs using graphic card videoLUT?

The monitor has different profiles/color spaces: full, adobergb, rec 601, rec709, dci-p3 emulation. (I work in video btw, for tv and feature films). So this profiles are useful to preview how the shot i´m working on is going to look on tv (rec709) and cinema (p3 emulation), right? So what if i just use it un full mode, profile with DisplayCAL to the graphic card videoLUT, and then just use the color management inside After Effects or Davinci. Is any of this options better than the other one?

Thanks again,

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is there any advantage on using monitor internal LUTs vs using graphic card videoLUT?

Yes. The monitor internal LUT (when present) usually has a higher bit depth than what’s available via the graphics  card, which means it’s less likely that calibration may introduce visual artifacts like banding due to quantization. There are exceptions to this though, i.e. if you have an AMD graphics card, then afaik the videoLUT will be dithered and as result offer a similar smooth result as the monitor internal LUTs. Newer nVidia graphics cards also may offer this, but with nvIdia it seems more of a hit-and-miss.

So what if i just use it un full mode, profile with DisplayCAL to the graphic card videoLUT, and then just use the color management inside After Effects or Davinci. Is any of this options better than the other one?

Hard to tell. I’m not sure about After Effects color management and if/how it uses ICC profiles, or if it relies on 3D LUTs. DaVinci Resolve has some very limited ICC profile support, the 3D LUT support seems clearly superior (due to DaVinci’s lacking ICC implementation) and should be used instead wherever possible.

laneo
    Participant

Thanks Florian

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS