Acer XV240YP – OK using another monitor’s correction profile? (Same panel)

Home Forums Help and Support Acer XV240YP – OK using another monitor’s correction profile? (Same panel)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

You Too
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    It’s been 10 years since I was into color calibration the last time. That time it was an old 22″ Samsung TN display (2253BW) and a 40″ Samsung TV. (LE40C650) At the time I had the old i1 Display 2 which I sold after I was happy with getting the best possible calibrations I could, using X-rite’s own software for the PC display and HCFR for the TV.

Now the TV still looks good to me, though it will be interesting to measure it and see how much it changed over 10 years.
    The PC display was getting yellow and its power supply was dying so I decided to go from 60hz to a new display with 144.
    Got the Acer XV240YP which is overclocked to 165hz but I choose to run it at its normal 144hz for longevity reasons and compatibility with 24fps content. Also, the visual difference between 144 and 165 just isn’t worth it.

I just ordered the newer i1 Display Pro. I was thinking about the Studio but reading about how slow it was I changed my mind to get the Pro. And I couldn’t be happier when I found how much things have changed for the better on the software side.

Now I wonder: When I get my colorimeter, should I use the white LED preset that comes with DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS or would it be better to use a correction profile from another monitor which has the exact same panel? My own display isn’t listed in the colorimeter corrections database and the only one that has the same panel by Panda is ASUS VP249, for which there is a correction profile.

I’m asking because I’m not sure how correction profiles work. I understand they’re created by measuring with a more expensive and accurate instrument, i1 Pro 2.
    What I don’t know is if the correction profile only takes the panel characteristics in themselves in account or if the panel in question has to be calibrated before a correction profile is created.

Either way, I’m not into all the details but I could find CCSS was recommended over CCMX.

So use the bundled corrections profile or the one from the ASUS monitor using the same 144hz IPS panel?
    By the way, both of the displays are specified as 99% sRGB. They don’t support DCI-P3.

Thank you so much in advance!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by You Too.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Throw a coin. While LED (sRGB, blue led + yellow phosphor) are more or less the same. Bundled 1nm has 3 samples, for user made seek 3nm CCSS corrections.
    Most differences will come in slight white point difts, so you can choose between them for the WP they produce (do not make full calibration, just tweak white)

You Too
    Participant

Throw a coin. While LED (sRGB, blue led + yellow phosphor) are more or less the same. Bundled 1nm has 3 samples, for user made seek 3nm CCSS corrections.
    Most differences will come in slight white point difts, so you can choose between them for the WP they produce (do not make full calibration, just tweak white)

Thanks. So there wouldn’t be much differences anyway. I’ll still try and compare both, I guess!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS